Chapter 2

Archer's POV:

"I can't believe you are leaving me." My girlfriend Lydia wines while we are snuggled naked together on her bed. She's staying home and going to a local school while I was going away to school to play volleyball.

"I know Lyd." I said holding back tears, we started dating 5 months ago and have been practically inseparable since.

"We have to make time to skype every night." she said.

"Yeah we'll figure out a time later." I say and kiss her forehead. She then kisses my cheek with tears of her own. I wish we could stay like this forever. What am I going to do without her? I kiss her neck at the base just above her clavicle. What would I do without this?

Lydia giggles as my tongue peaks out to have a taste. "Another round?" She says smiling and wipes away her tears.

"Just one more for the road" I say. Just as our lips come together in a passionate kiss, my phone starts to ring, blaring out the song "Mother knows best" from the Tangled soundtrack. Lydia and I both let out a groan and I reach to answer it.

"ARCHER!" my mom yells after I mumble hello. "YOUR FATHER AND I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU FOR THE PAST HOUR. WE NEED TO LEAVE."

"Mom, you don't have to yell."

"Really Archer? I wasn't yelling this morning when I told you to be back in 20 minutes! I GUESS I HAVE TO YELL TO GET THROUGH TO YOU!"

"No you don't, I was just saying goodbye to Lydia." I say rolling my eyes. My mother is always extra dramatic.

"I don't know why you need over an hour to say goodbye to one friend, don't you just have to hug and say 'see you later' ?" Oh mom, if you only actually knew what I was doing for the past hour... My parents don't know that I'm gay. I didn't know how they would react to me having a girlfriend, so I haven't told them.

I've always been a great daughter, I have good grades, I'm a star athlete and I have always followed their rules and never stayed out late. I don't want to ruin the relationship I have with my parents. As long as I stayed within their strict guidelines of maintaining high grades and returning home for dinner on time, they stayed out of my personal life.

When I was being recruited for volleyball, I decided to sign with a school 5 hours away from home because I wanted the distance from my parents, I needed a little breathing room. That was before I met Lydia though, now I almost regret it. She was my first real girlfriend, and it will be hard to try and maintain our still new and budding relationship.

After getting dressed, Lydia walked me to my car and we had one last lingering kiss before I left to start my new life away from home. She was sobbing as I got into the driver seat. "I'll call you after I settle down, and my parents leave." I say somberly, trying not to cry anymore since I have to see my parents soon.

"You better!"

After I went back home, and my mom glared at me and started muttering about how much traffic we're gonna hit, I got in the passenger seat of the moving van filled with all my crap. My dad got into the driver's seat, while my mom gets in her car to trail behind us.

The drive was long and excruciating, it took us almost 6 and a half hours because of traffic and it was just about 4 PM when we pulled up at my new school. Since we were a little late there weren't as many emotional parents chasing after their kids, which made the campus seem all the more larger. As we continued to drive in deeper, the suburbs surrounding the campus began to disappear and the University began to open up. The large modern styled buildings were spaced out, giving a very open feel. I tried to zone out my parents' insistent arguing about how to get to my dorm by gazing out my window. I could see the football stadium and arena farther down the road. As we pulled up to my dorm I saw a few other students haul boxes into the building and it really hit me, so this is college.

My parents are staying outside to greet the movers that are going to help us bring all my crap up the stairs. I feel like my parents and I could handle it, but they don't want to break a sweat. I told them my room number and ran into the building because I was too excited to wait. As I neared my door I was really apprehensive. I stalked my roommate's Facebook profile a little after getting our rooming assignments, she seems pretty normal, we talked a little bit too. I'm still nervous though because you never know who could be a sociopath. She did have these two adorable younger siblings, I hope I get to meet them. I don't get to spend a lot of time with little kids. When I reached the door I pulled out my key to open the door, and paused because I could hear music bumping for what sounded like a rap song.

I opened the door, and couldn't believe what I walked in on...

"But he gotta eat the booty like groceries!" The girl on the bed sang in time with the song.

"Hey." I said just loud enough to be heard over the music and her singing. I smiled to myself at the lyrics of that song and almost laughed out loud at the thought of what my parents would think if they walked in with me. "You must be Kayla." I said extending my hand for her to shake.

She turned to me with a flushed expression then hopped off her bed to greet me, "O-Oh, Hi I didn't hear you come in. You must be Archer. It's great to finally meet you."

I subtly gazed over her features as we shook hands, and she surprisingly looked like her profile pictures. She has long light brown hair that looked like it reached the middle of her back. I wonder where she gets her hair done, the blonde ombre looks really good. She was at least a couple inches shorter than me but she's still taller than most women. Her naturally tan skin was definitely something many people would envy and her grey eyes that were speckled with black held strength but also softness within them. I glanced down at our joined hands and noticed she had her sleeves rolled up, revealing a partial arm sleeve tattoo. It looked like there was a date written in roman numerals from her wrist down to the middle of her forearm, two solid lines wrapped around the middle of her forearm, which had detailed wings on the top half of her forearm and extended just beyond her elbow.

After we introduced ourselves, we had a good talk. She seems really nice, since she helped me unpack. We'll probably get along great. We're both lesbians! How cool is that? I decided to out myself right away as a signal of a fresh start and it thankfully did not backfire. I'm glad my parents were not in the room for that conversation, even with my new start I wasn't ready to face them yet.

The excitement for the school year continues to bubble inside me as I thought about the upcoming school year and volleyball. Even though I'm only a freshman I hope to get playing time, and I hope to learn a lot from the older girls. I could barely get through dinner with my parents because I was daydreaming about my classes.

"Honey." my dad said, drawing me out of my thoughts. "I know you are really interested in law, but have you thought about maybe going for something easier, so you can focus more on volleyball." Here we go again, all he cares about is volleyball. He competed in two olympics and all he really cares about is me being the best athlete I can be. In fact, that's where I got my name from. Archery was his sport of choice. He won two olympic gold medals, before he hurt his shoulder. This happened before I was even born. At first, he wanted me to be an archer like him, but my mom convinced him to choose a sport that would make me happiest. I think I chose volleyball at first because I liked the way the girls looked in spandex.

"Dad don't worry I can be the brains and the jock at the same time." I replied hoping he didn't press the issue.

"I know honey, I just hope you're imagining the lights, the people from all around the world there. And the fans, the obnoxious American ones in the crowd, yeah they're cheering YOU on." My dad goes on to tell another one of his stories from his glory days. I went back to daydreaming.

After dinner, I gave my parents a kiss and a hug goodbye and they left me to face the first step towards the rest of my life.

A/N: Hi - Alicia (aka blu3bunni321)