Chapter 1

Kayla's POV:

"Thanks for helping me bring all my stuff into my room, guys." I said as I walked my family back to their car.

"We're really gonna miss you Kay Kay." My little sister Julia pouted and clung to my arm.

"I'm gonna miss you more!" My youngest sibling, Brandon, grabbed onto my other arm.

"I'll miss you guys too." I smiled at my brother and sister.

"There'll definitely be a big presence missing without you at home." My dad put a hand on my shoulder. "Don't be a stranger and come visit home every now and then."

"I'll call home too." I nodded to my dad.

"It's getting late guys, we better head home." My dad told my siblings and they both made unhappy sighs and grunts in response.

"I'll call you guys soon." I crouched to wrap them both in a huge bear hug which they returned enthusiastically. Then I stood to give my dad a hug as well. The embrace was in silence but that's because neither of us have been able to handle goodbyes well the past years.

"See you later." Was what we decided to say in place of 'goodbye' and this moment was no different. I squeezed a little tighter when my dad said those words.

"See you later." I repeated.

"See you later!" My brother and sister chimed in giving my legs a squeeze. "We love you!"

"I love you guys too!" I waved them off as they got seated in our Toyota Highlander.

I watched the car leave until the tail light was out of sight then I turned to walk back into my dorm. The hallway was still a bit packed with parents helping their child bring up all their stuff and frantic daughters trying to figure out where to put all their clothes. I, on the other hand, didn't have too much of a problem since I didn't have much stuff to bring in the first place. Well, at least until after I let my siblings keep some things of mine to remember me by while I'm away. I guess it helped me in the long run now that I see the space limitations.

I unlocked my door and sighed at all my unpacked belongings. I looked at the opposite bed and saw that it was still empty.

She must be running late. I hope she didn't overestimate on what to bring.

I've barely talked to her since we got paired up but she did accept my friend request on facebook so I was able to play the stalker for a little bit. From what I could tell, superficially at least, she was a hardcore health nut (if her daily pictures of her kale smoothies were anything to go by). There was also a whole photo album dedicated to her time spent on the USA U-17 volleyball team.

So it looks like we'll be seeing each other a lot, in our room and on the court. I sighed accepting that she'll probably kick my ass in tryouts. She probably already committed to the team, while I most likely only have a sliver of hope at making the team since I'll be a walk-on at tryouts.

Having volleyball in common is nice though, having anything in common with my new roommate is nice to be honest. I've heard roommate horror stories from my teachers before I graduated. Like when my english teacher told us about how her roommate sexiled her every other night because her roommate's boyfriend in high school came to the same college, no pun intended. Or how my chemistry teacher caught his roommate going through all his stuff. And there's my history teacher's roommate who never talked to her the whole year they were rooming together, except sometimes they would say 'hi' or 'bye'.

I placed the last shirts in the drawers under my raised bed. Wow I have a lot of flannel. I laughed to myself and combed my fingers through my long hair as I finished putting away my clothes.This is one more thing we have in common. I chuckled to myself as I remembered my soon to be roommates cute pixie cut. I wonder if she's a natural blonde. My hair was naturally light brown but the tips would go blonde in the summer time if I spent a lot of time in the sun. My dad always said my hair was a mixture of his blonde hair and my mom's light brown hair when it looked like this. My thoughts drifted back to my roommate. In her profile picture she was standing with a teammate in her volleyball uniform while they both held a large trophy.