“why” I snapped grabbing my bag off him.

“because it is my duty” he shouted back.

“what duty, your only duty is paper boy and to look after me as my older brother” I whispered tears filling my eyes.

“my duty to my country, are grandfathers both fought for peace, our uncle fought for peace, I must follow in their footsteps and fight for peace” he slowly looked up to meet my eyes.

“and look how that turned out for them” I choked thinking about the relatives I never got to meet.

“Marti, what can I say to make you understand?” he whispered pulling me into a hug.

“nothing, don’t go please, at least wait, if they call you up then I will not fight it, but please just wait” I begged looking up into his eyes.

“I will give it a few weeks, let you get used to the idea” he let go and I knew that, that was the best I was going to get out of him.

“what if you die, what if they take father, you really think mother and I could cope, they say that the Nazi’s have bombs that can fly, we live in Coventry, where do you think they are going to send those bombs” I accused starting to walk again.

“you and mother do just fine when father and I go on fishing trips” he muttered kicking another stone.

“one weekend, we know that a killer fish is not going to come out of the water and kill you, unlike this, this is a war were thousands of people are going to be killed” I whispered as I reached the school gates.

“stop worrying, I will still be at home when you get back, I promise I will not sign up today” he kissed my forehead then pushed me through the gates.

“love you” I smiled at him then walked towards the old stone building.

I took my seat at my desk and instantly stared off into space, geography was never my favourite subject.

“Good morning class” Mr Hampton greeted us.

“good morning Mr Hampton” we all replied with fake enthusiasm.

“today we have a new student, would you like to introduce yourself Mr Salvatore” Mr Hampton waved his hand in the direction of the door and all heads immediately turned his way, except for mine, I was too busy worrying about John.

“Well, my name is Stefan and I come from a town called Mystic Falls in Virginia, America” his voice sounded nervous, like he was hiding something and he did not like all the attention.

“thank you Mr Salvatore, if you would like to take the spare seat next to Miss Bloodrayne at the back” as Mr Hampton said my name my head pricked up for the first time, and I saw a brown haired boy walk towards me.

“Hello, I am Morticia” I whispered as he sat next to me.

“Hello, I’m Stefan” he smiled at me then turned his attention to the front as class began.

“So what do you do at break times” Stefan asked me as we walked out of class.

“normally I meet up with my friends, but today I feel like spending some time alone, so I am going to the library” I answered walking in that direction.

“oh, sorry” he muttered and I noticed he was no longer beside me.

“no, its fine you can come, sorry, did not quite think that through, I just meant I don't want to be with them at the moment” I smiled at him and he started to follow me again.

“stop me if I am talking out of line but you seem a little sad” Stefan spoke as I found a quiet seat for the two of us at the back of the library.