Deal or No Deal

Carmilla rolls over and frowns to find that the tiny bundle of sunshine she fell asleep next to has since disappeared. She did say she was an early riser...

She rolls around the bed for a bit before finally making her way out of the bedroom. She finds a note attached to the cupcake on the counter.

"Good morning, sleepyhead!

J.P. called to ask for some more measurements and some help in the lab. Feel free to join or bum around the apartment.

There's some coffee in the pot.

Don't forget your cupcake from your Cupcake :)

--Laura

P.S. You drool. Like, a lot. Like, all over my yellow pillow >:( "

Carmilla chuckles and takes a bite from the cupcake, which is surprisingly still soft, and picks up a thermos near the note to fill with coffee.

Last night was probably the best sleep she's gotten in a long time. It felt like she and Laura were naturally meant to sleep wrapped up in each other and for the first time in forever Carmilla goes about her morning with a smile.

Laura can be so stubborn, and way too naïve. But that's part of her charm, and it made Carmilla feel lighter somehow. Even with all the problems they face, Laura had found a way to find the bright side, and get Carmilla to see it, too. Maybe it was because she was raised more in the human world and never had to deal firsthand with the battle between good and evil.

But so had Ell, and as much as she had made Carmilla feel like there could be a world outside of that, Carmilla could never truly be herself like she can around Laura. Laughing and smiling come easier around her.

Carmilla snaps herself out of her thoughts, picks up her thermos, and flies over to headquarters, only to find Danny and Kirsch bickering over something in the kitchen area when she enters through the window.

"You idiot, To Kill A Mockingbird is not an instructional––"

"––Well, why else would it be called To Kill A Mockingbird––"

"––You're a moron––"

"––You didn't answer my question––"

Carmilla smirks but clears her throat and they turn to face her.

"What's up?" Danny asks, with one last glare at Kirsch.

Carmilla lazily drums her fingers on the lid of her thermos. "Laura left me a note saying she was with J.P. in the lab. Where is that?"

"You know the warehouse where we, uhm, kept you... down the block?" Danny asks. Carmilla nods. "It's a couple buildings beyond that. Can't miss it."

Carmilla mumbles a "thanks" before leaving the two to their super intelligent literary discussion.

She flies back out of the window and spots a field where Theo and Mel are practicing their target practice. It appears to be a competition, or at least started out that way. The field is now a charred mess and the two are arguing over who won and whose turn it is to clean up the mess.

Carmilla finally locates a building, which has a hastily written "NOT a Laboratory" sign in front, later crossed out with a red marker. The door is open and there are loud clattering noises from within.

At first, she thinks it might just be whatever J.P. and Laura are constructing within, but as she approaches, she hears Laura grunting and realizes it's a struggle.