09 - Coffee

Not only is Derek very much younger than his usual self, but he doesn't remember anyone. Somehow, Kate was able to literally bring Derek back to his teenage self, memories included. All hope for finding Derek and having him recognize me somehow flew so far out the window. If any of them were bound to figure me out, it was going to be Derek. 

Deaton circles the lab table with young Derek laying on top of it. He looked beyond surprised when Scott carried him inside, after he passed out on the ride back from being so weak. "Wow." He mutters quietly under his breath. 

"Wow?" Stiles questions him while standing on the other side of the table beside the three of us. "Wow as in, 'I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do,' kind of wow? 'Cause that's the kind of wow we were hoping for."

I stand beside Derek's head, frowning at the young boy. How did Kate even do this? Better yet, how is she even alive after all this time? A sickening feeling occurs in my stomach. What if Kate is the first one to recognize me? 

"I think you might be overestimating my abilities." Deaton replies. 

My right hand sneaks out on the table to wrap my fingers around Derek's hand. Worry seeps through my body from how icy his touch is. I look up to the others. "He's cold. Really cold."

Deaton gives me a confused look before grabbing Derek's other hand. After feeling how cold his hands are, Deaton reaches for the small flashlight in his pocket of his shirt to check Derek's eyes.

I nervously swallow, "Do you think this is permanent?" 

"I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate." Deaton withdraws from Derek. "This is well beyond my experience."

My other hand wraps around Derek's, automatically. "So, what do we do with him then?"

"Until he wakes up? Probably not much." Deaton shakes his head. "It might be best to leave him with me. He'll be safe here."

"You mean from Kate?" Stiles asks.

Deaton wraps the thick blanket around Derek, leaving his hand out for me to hold, but not after giving me a weird look. "If she's alive and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate."

"Why would she want to do this to him?" Lydia slowly shakes her head, not understanding.

I scoff at the mere thought of my aunt. "Knowing Kate, it's probably for a reason that won't be good for anyone but her."

Stiles looks at me strangely, but shuts his mouth when Lydia shakes her head. I avoid looking at either one, too focused on Derek. What if we can't change him back? He'll never know who I was even if someone else does figure it out. A tightness occurs in my throat and I feel myself on the verge of crying. 

"And bad for everyone else." Scott adds.

Deaton peers at the three of them. "You guys should probably go home. He doesn't look to be in any danger, so maybe the rest of you should get some sleep? It is a school night and you all need to start taking care of your own lives again."

"Someone should stay with you."

I open my mouth to volunteer, but Lydia beats me to it, "I'll stay." She says with half a shrug. "My grades are fine...despite missing a few classes."

"I'm so not okay with this." Stiles immediately begins to shake his head.

 I look up at them. "I'll stay with her. I'm not fully enrolled at Beacon Hills anyways...And I know Parrish won't mind. He'll just be glad that I'm back in town." 

Lydia nods her head in agreement. "See? It's fine." Her head cranks to the side until her eyes soley land on Stiles. "Guys, go."

"No." Stiles says with a determined shake of his head.