Chapter 5

Tris' POV

I wake up after what feels an eternity of being asleep. I blink several times to adjust to the bright light in the room. When I finally manage to keep my eyes open I look around. This isn't my room, it is Matt's. He must have brought me home to keep an eye on me while I sleep.

I get out of bed and walk toward the living room. He is still asleep on his couch. I wonder why he didn't take the guest room. I pass it on my way to the bathroom and hear light snoring. I open the door and see my uncle sleeping inside. I carefully close the door again, making sure not to wake him. I walk into the bathroom and the first thing I do is look myself up in the mirror. I look awful. I have dark circles under my eyes, my eyes are red and puffy from all the crying, my nose is red and I feel my throat sore. I use one of the extra toothbrushes that Matt has in his bathroom to brush my teeth. I use the toilet to relieve myself and wash my hands still staring at my scary reflection. I get out of the bathroom and return to the bedroom where I retrieve my belongings. I write a note and leave it on the bed and walk out of the apartment, my sneakers in my hand.

On my way downstairs I somehow manage to put my shoes and jacket on without falling down. When I reach the entrance door I let my keys drop and bend down to grab them. When I get up I bump into someone big and solid and almost fall backwards. That someone grabs me by my arms, firm to hold me in place, but gentle as to not bruise me. I look up and see Four. I automatically smile, but then I remember that he is my brother's friend and the thought of him makes me tear up again.

"Did I hurt you?" he asks concerned by my reaction. I shake my head no. "You can tell me," he insists.

"It's not you," I say and my voice is hoarse.

"However, I'm the only one here so it has to be me," he says trying to smile.

"It's not you," I repeat. "You just remind me of... him," I say the last part looking away. I feel him tense up.

"I'm sorry," he says and lets go of me.

"It's not your fault. I'm a little emotional today," I say looking back up and a tear rolls down my cheek.

He reaches out his hand and touches my cheek. He wipes the single tear off of my face with his thumb.

"For what is worth, I hate him for what he did to you. I just wish Zeke and Uriah would have let me punch him some more," he says and looks away angry.

"You? You punched him?" I ask surprised.

"Don't you remember?" he asks. "After he said all those hurtful things to you I just snapped. I couldn't control myself any longer," he says and he shakes now.

"I'm sorry," I say.

"Don't be. You didn't do anything wrong. It's him who should apologize. And not to me, but to you," he says. I lower my head trying to keep the tears from rolling down my face. We just stand there for a while until my stomach growls loudly. "Sounds like someone is hungry," he says with a chuckle. I look up at him and he smiles his adorable smile, which makes me smile in return.

"I could eat," I say sheepish.

"Alright. Let's go eat then," he says.

"Oh, I didn't mean it like that," I say. I don't want him to think I invited myself to have breakfast with him.

"You don't want to share a meal with me?" he asks, acting offended.

"That's not what I meant either," I say.

"Then let's go eat. You are hungry. I am hungry. Come on. My treat," he says smiling again.

"I can't accept that," I say firmly.