Another one bites the dust

Start from the beginning

"Hello, Montego... Long time, no see." Marco mumbled from behind me, his voice dripping in venom, as his hand pressed the gun further into my back and I found myself wondering who the fuck he was talking to.

A mocking smile slowly spread across Gabriel's lips making him look exactly like the murderer I knew him to be. 

"You mean you can see me now? I wouldn't have guessed judging by that eye of yours..." A low growl rumbled through Marco's chest as he pulled me into him a little closer. "What the fuck do you think you're doing, Crisanti?" Gabriel sighed and then slowly, carelessly walked around the desk, casually leaning against the edge of it once he was pleased with his new position. "She means nothing to me. Go ahead and kill her, you fucking idiot." I had to bite into my lip to know that I was not dreaming. That this was not a nightmare. Marco's grip of me tightened once more, the gun digging further into my back -if possible. 

"That's bullshit, Montego." I swallowed hard, already picturing how this was going to end. If he kept provoking him, I knew for a fact that Marco wasn't going to hesitate shooting me. After all, I'd driven a fucking needle through his eye. If he had enough reasons to kill me before that, then I had no idea what would've stopped him from doing it now. It might not have been personal at first, but it had certainly become that way.

Gabriel just shrugged.

"Call my bluff, then." The lump in my throat almost choked me the moment Marco's hand started fumbling with the gun. My eyes automatically tried to catch Gabe's, but it was useless. My murderer kept his eyes on his prey and his face blank.  

"Well then, maybe I should really kill her." A clicking sound came from the gun aimed at my back and Gabriel's entire body tensed, his eyes narrowing to burning pools of hatred and anger whereas mine widened wildly. A silent moan fought its way past my lips, the realisation that I still had breath in my lungs and pulse in my veins almost chocking me.

"Or maybe you should have a shot at me. It's me you're after, Crisanti. It's me who killed her. And you wanna know something?" No answer was delivered to Gabriel's question, my murderer smiling coldly in our direction before speaking again. "I loved doing it. I loved to look her in the eye, while the life was being sucked out of her with each drop of blood spilling onto the floor." My eyes closed, my mind unable to process Gabe's words. I didn't want to think of him like that. And then my ears registered Marco's erratic breathing, waves of heat flowing from his body to mine. The hole in my stomach started pulsating along with the crazy beats of my heart, my teeth capturing my lower lip and biting down hard. I was scared and Ginger's words came back to me again. You should be...  

"Or I can just have my boys over here take care of you, while I take care of darling Ms Groves." Marco shortly nodded his head and everything started going south. 'His boys' as he'd called them plunged forward, their guns already aimed at Gabriel while the man behind me finally gathered the guts and pulled the damn trigger. 

I embraced the first wave of pain as I collapsed to the ground, warm, sticky liquid flowing down the side of my body. My eyes closed for a second and then shot open the moment another wave of slicing pain erupted from the brand new bullet hole in my back. A gunshot rang throughout the room and then another, a body collapsing right next to me, the other only a few feet to my right. Another one biting the dust... I thought while perfectly understanding that I made no exception to that. 

 A harsh, deranged laugh came from somewhere near the door and then the final bullet was fired, Ed Sheeran's prays for rain softly drifting to my ears in the silence that had enveloped the room. Large arms picked me up and carried me, searing pain erupting everywhere his hands met my skin. 

Closing my eyes, I embraced the darkness and the numbness that came with it, but found myself incapable of silencing my brain. 

We choose what we think of before we die. Some think of the ones they love, some think of the ones they'll be reunited with... Some even think of what they leave behind. Well, I found myself thinking of the man holding me in his arms and realising that I wasn't yet ready to let go.