Chapter Five [Outer Perspective]

"Times have changed," said a woman. She stood in the middle of an underground room. It was large, made of wood, and musty. Certain areas of the wood had began to rot. Well, new places. Though it had been long, she could remember rotten planks in this place. But now it had crept up the walls and deeper into the floor. And the room was barren

No one was with her, but the door had a slot. Only someone from the inside could open it in her time, but someone had reversed the purpose of this section and locked her in rather than the world out. She had no control over it. But she could speak through it, it was even open.

"How long has it been cleared empty?" Some man answered. "There was a lot emptied before we checked in, but still quite a lot left. It was only about two years ago that everything was removed." The woman turned instantaneously, a glimmer in her eye.

"Who," she demanded. But she knew. It could be seen in her face, a smug and anticipating look had made its way there.

"I can't tell you. You know that. It's a nameless job. They don't get mine, I don't get theirs."

The woman strode to the door, her hands untying her leather cape. It had covered her and caused suspicion. That's why they'd locked her in. But now she revealed the secret.

An old, black leather armor and a silver necklace stood out against her pale flesh.

No hesitation struck the man as he unlocked the door. She strode out, tossed the cape onto his shoulder and shut the door herself.

"Everyone has a name. It's always been the age of the alias. There was a time when business wasn't conducted without the exchange of at least a fake name. Made work easier. Because now I'm tracing a woman. And I know who she is. But without her fake identity, I can't track her further," she said.

The man gawked at her as she readjusted herself. She yanked her hair from one of the upper belts of her armor and she leaned against a wall. He changed his demeanor the moment he saw her armor. Now he stood tall, hood removed, and didn't flinch when he was thrown the cape.

"You don't understand disappointment in a voice, do you? Eh, it used to be a lot more common down here."

"That was a very long time ago, miss. I knew what you meant. I promise. But I was trying to think who can help you."

"I already know. And don't. The woman I need is not apart of your group anymore. She belongs to a better one. Thank you."

The woman began to walk away, ahead of the gawking guy. "But ma'am, why don't you come back with me? I'm sure you want to meet people like you. I'm low on the pole, but we have lots like you. They can help." He followed her, even as she began going through a very old passage. "Oh! Don't go that way. We don't go there anymore. It's empty and no one ever uses it."

She turned, flashing a smile. He caught up and she yanked her cape back and tossed it on her shoulder. "I have no equivalents in the Guild. Maybe we have the same armor, but I promise mine carries more weight. And they'd all know that if they listen to their regional leader. Also, did I not say I have the help I need? You all could've made life simpler, but you didn't do what you- well, we- used to do. Don't question me when I say I'm settled."

"Oh, and kid?" The boy was shrinking in shame. But he nodded in response anyways. "I know my way around. This way will work. You've done nothing wrong at all today. You just did what you were taught and told. Be happy about that. It just... It used to be so much more. Thanks anyways." Then she headed through the passage.

She made her way through and up. Upon hitting fresh air, she threw her cape on and tucked her hair back. "Maybe that will be the end of my Ratway visits." And she closed the temperamental door exactly as she had years ago and left.