I returned to my crouched position at the edge of the ledge and listened to the conversation shared between Roberts and Stirling.

Stirling looked around. "What is this place?"

"Think of it as a large spyglass. It is a device that can see great distances."

I watched curiously as Roberts retrieved a glass vial from the nearby box and carefully placed it in the forehead of the skull. The armillary sphere began to turn. It separated into multiple circular blades which twisted around each other. A golden light erupted from the back, and a moving picture flashed onto the wall behind the contraption.

My eyes widened as I leaned forward. What was that? What was its purpose? I realised that whoever created the sphere intended to house people to view the projections at any one time, judging by the hundreds of seats positioned in front of it.

I noticed human forms moving. I noticed the back wall of a bar, bottles stacked on the shelfs. I recognised it. It was the one in Nassau. It was the one Eilian and I frequented.

Stirling stepped back. "What is this witchcraft?"

"Not witchcraft. This is Edward McCullough. Somewhere in the world right now, in this moment."

Realisation struck Stirling. "Nassau. This is happening right now? We're seeing through his eyes?"

"Aye," Roberts replied.

Stirling took a step closer to the spinning contraption. "How does this thing work?"

"A vial containing a drop of blood from the person I wish to observe is placed in the forehead of the crystal skull. The device projects what the person is seeing and hearing."

I squinted. What did Torres want with the Observatory? With the armillary sphere in his grasp, he could use it to rid his enemies faster. And the innocent. Was that his plan? If it was, I couldn't let him do that. I wouldn't.

Roberts removed the vial from the sphere and the golden blades ceased it's spinning. "Hmm. Who else?" He dug around the box for a new vial. "Ah, yes."

"Who's is that?" Stirling asked as Roberts placed the vial into the skull's forehead.

He beamed wickedly. "The captain of the Empress."

I shot to my feet and skittered into the darkness of the ledge wall behind me. The armillary sphere began to turn. And, like the first projection, a golden moving picture flashed on the wall: Roberts and Stirling looking at the armillary sphere around the side of a wall. Eilian was peaking around it to look at them. And the pirates could see that he was.

Roberts grinned. "Come out, mate! I know you're here."

I watched silently as Eilian and the men stepped out of the shadows. Roberts' men halted their plundering to stand by their captain. The two men opposed each other with our men snarling at the enemy's. Stirling stood near the sphere, keeping close to the box of vials.

I remained in the darkness. I was backup. I was the only backup. I couldn't be discovered.

Roberts raised a hand. My breath caught in my throat and my eyes widened. Everything...slowed. Our men and his stalking up to each other slowed to a stop.

Eilian looked at his men, confused. Only Roberts, Eilian and I were free from the effects of the Time Walk.

My heart crawled into my throat and beat there. 

Roberts...Roberts was a Time Walker.

Eilian looked as equally as shocked. But he looked more enraged, his blue eyes seething. "Who are you?"