Chapter 34

I laid on the hospital bed, motionless. Unconscious. I couldn't see. But I could hear.

Patrice was sitting on a chair next to me. I heard him mumble a few prayers here and there. He held my hand.

I wish I can just wake up and hug him, see him smile. But sadly, it just doesn't work that way.

I've been in the hospital for 3 days now. My body wasn't healthy. I've heard a few nurses and doctors say I don't have a great chance of making it.

The room was silent but I can feel the energy in it.

I heard a chair move and footsteps coming towards me.

"Claire, hi it's me Patrice" Patrice said.

This was the first time Patrice spoke to me ever since last week, when I saw him at the park.

"I don't know if you can hear me, but I miss you. Please Claire. Please fight through it. Please stay alive for me. I need you. I need you right here. Please don't leave me alone in the dark." Patrice said.

I tried waking up but I couldn't. I heard Patrice start to whimper.

"Claire please. Don't leave. Stay. Stay right here." He continued, trying to catch his breath.

I can't. I can't do it anymore. I felt like I was in a dream. All of a sudden I started having flashbacks.

*start of flashbacks*
I was about 6 years old. It was Christmas morning. I ran down the steps of our house and I saw my family down stairs waiting for me.

My father was sitting in a chair, and my mom was scolding my sister to wait for her presents.

Why is this flashback appearing? We'll probably because it was one of my best memories. I felt so happy to have a beautiful family like that.

After that I started seeing more flashbacks, this time I was 14 years old.

I came back from school, only to see my father and sister devastated.

At first I didn't know why they were crying, but moments later my sister explained to me that my mother had left us.

The next flashback, I was 22 years old. Not that long ago only 2 years ago.

It was my first time ever in Boston. I walked into TD Garden, where my job was, and I was greeted by some man about my age.

"You must be Claire" he said.

"My name is Patrice. I'm one of the players of the Boston Bruins" he spoke.

I already knew who he was, since I was a long time Bruins fan.

I shook his hand and greeted him, not knowing that this was the start of a friendship that would last a lifetime.

The last memory was when I was still 22 years old.

It was a couple months after I had met Patrice. I was sitting on a bed in my apartment when the news hit me.

I received a call from my sister. She was weeping.

"Claire! Claire.." She whimpered through the phone.

"What? What's the matter" I asking quickly.

"It's dad. He- he died from a heart attack" she spoke softly into the phone

I dropped the phone to the ground and cried in my bedroom, for the rest of the day.

*end of flashbacks*

My thoughts slowly start slowing down. I was on the verge on just giving up.

The machine started beeping fast and Patrice started panicking.

A bunch of nurses started gathering around me and one escorted Patrice away.

One of the nurses starts speaking to me.

"Hun stay with us. Don't give up. Fight through it "she whispered to me.

"It's okay if you give up. But please. Fight for us. Be strong" she said.

My body couldn't keep up any longer, and the Machine started beeping faster and faster.