Pawn? Someone Tell This Crazy Bitch We Aren't Playing Chess!

Start from the beginning

Her eyes flickered with brief curiosity. "You are mistaken, but fear not. You will soon join your friends, and Elieveta will reign as empress of our new nation!" He glanced at the glistening sap crystals dangling from a chain around the woman's neck as she rambled on.

"Not only do you practice light magic, but sealing as well I see?" Brady mused, grinning widely at Raita. "Release my companions from those crystals as well as the others you've trapped and let us leave this place in peace. Do so now and we can act as if none of this ever happened."

Her eyes widened in shock, and her hand clasped the amber charms protectively. "How did you-"

"I am rather adept in the art of telepathy." He explained, holding his sword defensively as he spoke. Regardless of how distracted the sorceress seemed, he couldn't afford to let his guard down. "You see, not only can I hear your thoughts, but I can look into your memories as well. It quickly became clear what you'd done as soon as you arrived here in your true form."

"You- you tricked me, you bastard!" She shrieked, sending shards of light out at him like a rain of golden bullets. Brady dodged the first few skillfully, but the final shard nicked his side, piercing his skin and causing the boy to cry out in pain. He used his free hand to stanch the bleeding with his shirt, lifting his blade again with the other.

"It's going to take more than that to put me out of commission," he said fiercely, and Raita's eyes fluttered with a bloodlust, taking on a rose red hue.

She cackled as she moving into a casting stance. "Do you see now? With each hitting blow, my power only increases." She grinned as strength seemed to rush through her body, invigorating her. Brady had thought it odd for a sorceress in such a notorious clan to only use sealing magic, one of the least destructive of the dark magics, but now it was crystal clear. She also possessed the ability to use amplification magic, the forbidden amplification charm in particular. Called Foe's Heart, it drew power from landing an attack on an enemy. As one's opponent's battle strength was weakened by wounds, their own was peaked.

"My offer still stands. Release your prisoners and we don't have to fight."

"Never!" She snarled, "My allegiance is to Elieveta, not you, Runeholder. I will follow her order until my very last breath."

Brady sighed, shaking his head in disappointment. "So be it." He planted his feet firmly against the ground, readying himself for her next assault. "Hit me with everything you've got." The room seemed to fall into a state of disarray as the sorceress drew the light in toward her body, gathering it all close to her until the corridor was left in complete darkness less the few feet surrounding her. With a flick of her wrist, the bright ball shot out in all directions. Brady grimaced, unable to move away as he felt the ring of light slam him back against the wall of her inescapable trap. It felt to him as if gravity was crushing him, making him one with the wall.

"Hurts, doesn't it?" Raita snickered, finally relenting, and watched a the boy crumpled to the floor in a heap. He lifted his head painstakingly, his eyes darkening as he met hers. They were an even deeper red than they'd been before. Foe's Heart... It had made the playing field uneven, but Brady had to push through. Not only did he have to save Phoena and the Commander's high and mighty son from this psycho, but the Gwyrs were depending on the Runeholders like himself for their salvation. It took some effort, but he managed to pick himself up off the floor, using the saber like a crutch. "Give up," Raita hissed, "There's no point in fighting me. You're too weak."

"If I don't fight," he mumbled, taking a defensive stance and breathing heavily, "then who will?" His body ached, and part of him wanted to collapse and cling to his injured side, but that would mean the end not only for him, but for the others as well. He couldn't let them waste away on account of him. "You intend to take your last breath for the dark sorceress? I intend to take mine for the souls of the people you've captured."