The Important Army Guy Gets Railed by His Ex For Being an Idiot

Every 75 years, the runes of the Seoreh will mark six; six individuals will become the legend of Gwyrholm. Their lives are always brief, but their talent is the root of Gwyran prowess. That is how the empire has thrived, and that is how it will continue to ever thrive.

A young man strode calmly across the battlefield, not blinking an eye as crimson spilled from the bodies surrounding him- friend and foe both alike in death as they lay with pale unchanging faces. He stopped outside a dark tent at the far end of the clearing, wiping away blood from his heavy silver sword with a handkerchief before slipping it into its sheath. The battle left his dark hair plastered to his forehead, and he brushed it from his eyes then stepped boldly into the tent. "Grand Commander, sir," he addressed the man, who was dressed in a heavy suit of the finest Gwyran armor not unlike his own, with a sharp salute.

The man simply nodded in return, his gaze quickly falling back to his map as he spoke, strategically moving markers across it as if playing a game of chess. "Commandant Ellinor. Do you come with news?"

"Yessir." The young man approached the desk, pressing his palms against the edge. He took a soft breath, his knuckles shaking in anger as he spoke. "Unfortunately the sorceress escaped. It seems that she was controlling the Taethian forces."

A bright red place marker slipped from Grand Commander's fingers, falling to the table with a soft cla-clunk. "That unit consisted of near 100 men. You mean to say she was controlling all of them?"

His inferior nodded. "I've consulted with a few of the magic-attuned in our midst, and with the proper items, we concluded that she could have."

"Very well then." The Grand Commander sighed deeply before rising to look upon his comrade. "Have a messenger send word to Taetha's royals. If the sorceress was spearheading this assault, it is likely that the Taethians have no knowledge of our motivations. Drawing another empire into battle now would be foolish if we want to catch Elieveta before she becomes more than an overpowered nuisance." A deep blue cape draped down his back, flaring out behind him as he moved to Ellinor's side. "Those are formal orders, Commandant," he added as the other man stood rooted in place. "I suggest you get moving. Ready the First Squadron for deployment as well. We can spare no time in our hunt for the dark sorceress."

Ellinor dipped his back in a small bow. "Yes. Excuse me, sir. I'll send our fastest rider at once." A moment later, the Grand Commander stood in his tent alone again. He carefully unclasped his battle helm, tugging it off his head, and set it atop his desk. His fingers skimmed the top of his hair before settling at the side of his neck. His fingers deftly traced a smoky black mark on his skin, dark and jagged as if it had been scorched into the skin. The rune pulsed with heat and power, and the Commander could feel its influence and its blessed powers coursing through his very being. "Dear Lord, give me the strength to catch this wretched woman," he murmured quietly as he pulled his hand away and let it drop to his side.

"I didn't know you were a religious man, Fazen." A lilting voice teased, and his shoulders tensed. Standing in the doorway was a woman he knew rather well. Her name was Yui, and she was what the arm called a Beater- a front line attacker who helped to clear a path for the other soldiers. Yui was one of their best and a former flame of the Commander, but in the end, life chose different paths for the two. They both threw themselves into their work, allowing them to gain prestige equal to that of the greatest soldiers in Gwyr's history.

"That would be Grand Commandant Pagadet to you, Miss Zerek," he scolded her brashness, watching the woman with controlled suspicion as he faced her. He rubbed the back of his neck uncomfortably. Her presence there couldn't mean anything good.

Yui narrowed her eyes and took a seat. "I know you too well for that."

"What brings you?" he asked, not bothering to argue. Yui was stubborn and proud of it, and he didn't have the energy with the hunt for Elieveta underway.