This and that

KYAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

"Heyyy love!! What's up?" Yassi's melodic voice dances from the other line, making me breathe a sigh of relief.

"Say it please?"

"What? Already? James just got back, may OJD agad?"

I feel guilty for waking her up, really I do. It's 9 am on a Sunday, and while everybody's lazily lounging in their homes, cozy and warm in their beds, James and I are busy taping our asses off for the tv series.

James who just stepped out and is taping a solo scene now. James who, for the past months got my heart flipping crazy as fuck. James who got me doubting myself when he said 'there's no one else I'd rather be just friends with'.

" Yas! Remind me again!" I plea, my voice rising in panic.

She sighs, and I know she's tired of this routine, I will be too if my anxiety attacks don't stop soon but Yassi is my only lifeline and I bet she knows it as she launches into an almost robotic monotone, "Just friends. You're not a couple, you're just friends. It can never go beyond that, it's too complicated. Guards up, Nadz. You.Are.Just.Friends."

I don't know what's wrong but the words doesn't soothe me the way it used to. My lips are still upturned in a giddy smile. And my stomach still feels like a pregnant mother on her first trimester.

"What is it this time, hun? His clinginess? Another shopping spree? Or maybe he mumbled something under his breath that the fans caught again?"

Yassi is up to date. In fact, Yassi considers herself VP - Muse of the JaDine loveteam, with Andre being the President of course. She even calls my attention sometimes on things I might have missed like James' mumblings.

"You're gonna find out anyway love, abang-abang lang."

"He got you something didn't he? From his trip?"

"Yeah. Something." and I couldn't help but snort the word out. Coz 'something' is definitely an understatement.

" What?"

" This and that." I try to pass it off casually, hoping to high heavens she wouldn't pick up on how the pitch of my voice heightened.

" You know I wouldn't let it go that easy, right?" Dang it.

" He got me a cap." I change my tone this time to mislead her, coz really, telling Yassi would be like opening Pandora's box and I'm not quite sure I can deal with what's inside yet.

" Really? Cap lang?" Crap. Of all the days Yassi has to be intuitive it has to be now.

"...aaaand a couple of shirts, a pair of shoes and perfume and chocolates and some fruits and earrings that matches a necklace and make up and did I mention make up? He brought me make up, what does he even know about make up Yas?!"

It actually felt nice to let it all out, and give in to Yassi's subtle bullying. Relief, yes, except that as soon as I said it, doubt quickly sets in my mind.

" THAT STUPID JAMES REID!!! AND ALL I GOT IS A SHITTY KEY CHAIN?! Makakatikim sa akin tong James na to eh. Is he there? I wanna talk to him!"

"Oh...but he gave me a keychain too!"

"And I'm supposed to feel better?! Seriously Nadz! Since when has James been this ... generous? Eh diba nga when we eat out he insists pa everyone to chip in?"

There, she said it. What's been bugging me since James gave me the stash just before he stepped out. To my wary mind, it does confirm there's something odd on the way he's acting lately.