Chapter 1

She sat in the Starbucks cafe, sipping her coffee and staring out of the window. The blood stained knife lay next to her handbag, covered with her blue silk scarf. She smiled at the name roughly scribbled on the cup, 'Anna'. She hated her, yet she felt sorry for her. Despite, she decided to say it out loud when the gangly guy at the cafe counter with the awful handwriting asked for her name. It felt like a final tribute to her. The exposed hilt of the knife felt cold against her flushed skin. She flinched and pulled the scarf further to cover the hilt carefully. It was a beautiful antique Japanese Vintage Valor hunting survival knife, it would be sad returning it back. The café was almost empty though it is a weekday, the breakfast time was over. It gave her a better chance to calm down and wait. The scalding cappuccino had a cathartic effect on her. The smooth texture of the blue scarf felt cool against her skin yet it burnt. The memories were scathing. The knife being wrapped in it felt ironical. As if the blood could wash away the crawling memories pervaded in the scarf.

It is just a matter of few more minutes and the opposite pavement would be swarming with police. She would allow herself to toast in the peace till then. Then what?! She will finally become a part of her sanity and play the role.