Calling Him Home

It was a calm Friday evening. Albert was lying in bed with Charles kneeling by his bedside.

Alberts life was coming to its end. He had already said goodbye to Laura and now it was time to speak his final sentences with Charles.

Charles was kneeling at his sons bed side forcing a smile and trying to hold back his tears even though Albert could see them forming in his eyes. Charles held onto one of Alberts hands and spoke. "I- I was so worried. Making sure that everyone including myself would be prepared for this moment. But I find myself realizing... there is no being prepared, I'm still terrified of losing you, my son." Charles's smile faded and tears began to run down his cheeks.

Albert smiled and tightened his grip on his Pa's hand. "I can't thank you enough for all you've done for me. Bringing me into your home, being your son, and just giving me the chance to experience a world I never thought I'd know." Albert began to breathe heavier and speak slower. "But now it's time for me to go. It's time to really go home." Alberts smile stayed, but tears began to fall from his eyes. "I love you, Pa." Albert managed to push out.

Charles smiled. "I love you son."

As Alberts eyes grew heavy and his heart tired, he managed to speak one last sentence. "This isn't really goodbye you know."

Charles rubbed his hand through his sons hair. "I know son, I know.

Albert smiled. Slowly Alberts smile faded and his eyes slowly closed. His grip on his Pa's hand loosened and he took his final breath, and then he was gone.

...

It was pitch dark. Not frightening, but soothing, peaceful. Although he had no sense of direction he felt like he was slowly be levitated upward.

Suddenly he heard a voice that echoed throughout the darkness. "Hello Albert, I've been waiting for you, my son."

Albert felt as if he was sleeping for a long time but was finally awake. "S- son?"

Suddenly a bright light shined from above the darkness. It grew bigger and brighter, until it completely overcame the darkness.

He was now in the light and out of the darkness when suddenly he heard a familiar female voice. "Hello Albert. It's good to see you again."

Albert felt an unbelievably happy feeling rush over him. He smiled then spoke. "Again? I can't see you. I don't even know who you are."

"Of course you do." The voice replied.

Suddenly the light all went up into the air and created a sky, clouds, and a sun. Albert also found himself in shock when he found himself standing outside of an unbelievably large city wall with an enormous gate. The entire thing was white, except for the gate which was made of a shining gold.

Albert also took notice to his clothing. It wasn't his normal white shirt and suspenders. Now he was wearing clothing made out of some soft white cloth.

Suddenly the woman's voice spoke from behind him. "Still don't know me yet?"

Albert swung himself around and smiled widely and spoke the name of the woman who was smiling back at him. "Sylvia."

Albert ran towards her as fast as he could noticing she was dressed similar to what he was wearing and when he reached her he lifted her off her feet and swung her around laughing with happiness, and also got her laughing.

Albert finally set her down still smiling. He finally calmed down a bit and spoke. "This is heaven, isn't it?" He said in confidence.

Sylvia nodded. "It is. And we're so happy to see you."

"We?" Albert said.

"Everybody we ever cared about is here. And there not the only ones who want to see you."

"Really? Who else?" Albert questioned.

Sylvia smiled. "God."

"God? He wants to see me?"

"He talks to everyone. When I got here he told me that everything was okay now. That never again would I have anything to fear. And that heaven was a place of eternal happiness. He was right. Speaking of God, I better go."

Albert looked confused. As Sylvia turned to leave Albert called after her. "Wait, your not coming with?"

Sylvia smiled. "Nope. Now is your time to meet God. But come find me later, ok?"

"Sure thing." Albert said.

Albert watched Sylvia walk down the brick road until she eventually vanished into the distance.

Suddenly Albert heard a loud rumbling noise. He turned around to see that the massive golden gate was opening and out of shined pure light. Then the voice of God spoke out to Albert. "I've been looking forward to meeting you again. Step forward my son."

After hearing God speak to him Albert stepped in through the golden gate and into the gleaming light.