Conflicted (Ron Weasley)

Start from the beginning

"Ginny's been trying to set me up," I answered, receiving a sympathetic look from Hermione at my words. "Again."

"Who with this time?" Harry might have looked sincerely concerned but his eyes gave away his amusement. He always found it so funny that Ginny was unaware of the person that she should have, in Harry's opinion, been setting me up with.

"It was Ernie Macmillan," Ginny piped up when it was obvious that I wouldn't answer Harry.

Ron snorted and Ginny looked sharply at her brother. Seeing the look his sister was giving him, he raised his hands up in defeat and started to explain himself.

"It's just Macmillan and her," He said as if those words were able to explain everything. I furrowed my eyebrows at him. If he didn't explain himself soon –

"What's so funny about that?" Ginny demanded, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Come on," Ron said glancing at Harry for support. Harry looked away from Ron, not willing to sacrifice himself alongside Ron.

"Sorry, mate," Harry said apologetically, "You dug your own hole, you need to get yourself out of it."

Ron turned back to his sister, "It's just that – it's not as if she's the most...desirable girl in the school, now is it?"

I clenched my jaw in irritation. Ron hadn't meant to be hurtful intentionally and I knew that. But that didn't change the fact that at times he could be the most hurtful person that I knew.

"If you must know Ronald," Hermione cut in tersely, shoot him a glare, "I happen to know that Ernie does in fact have a crush on her and that he isn't as shallow as you. Not that you're not pretty," she assured me as an afterthought.

I smiled gratefully at her. Only to lose it when Ron spoke again.

"Yeah alright, but I know that she'd never go out on a date with him, right?" He glanced at me for confirmation.

"And why wouldn't I?" I demanded, raising an eyebrow and ignoring Ginny's pleased exclamation of 'You'll go on a date with him!" She piped down at the sight of my glare.

"Because he's not you're type!"

"And how would you know what my type is?"

"Actually," Harry cut in with a small mischievous smile, "I think that of all people he should know exactly what your type is."

I glared at Harry before risking a quick look over at Ron who clearly had no idea what Harry was on about. But Ginny was another matter altogether. From the way she was looking between Ron and me, I knew that she as beginning to put it all together. I had managed to keep it hidden from her for so long.

Forget Voldermort killing Harry, I'd probably beat the no nosed freak to it.

**********

I was screaming my lungs out beside Hermione as we huddled close together on the stands, watching the quidditch match that was happening above us. We watched as Ron dove to save a goal, successfully catching the quaffle against his chest. I screamed louder making Hermione flinch from beside me. She let out a laugh when I stopped screaming and playfully hit me on the shoulder.

"He's doing well for his first match," she muttered knowingly into my ear. I didn't glance at her and instead kept my eyes on his figure as he hovered in front of the three hoops. "Maybe the good luck hug you gave him came to good use."

"Oh please," I scoffed, taking my eyes momentarily off from him to look at her. "We both know that it was whatever Harry slipped into his goblet at breakfast."