"I don't know," she said. It had been a simple question, a simple answer and thought, but the words were heavy on her tongue.

"Stay out here," she told him. "I want you guarding the door. I'll be safe with the Duke."

Khenji nodded, standing beside the threshold. Lark knocked softly on the door, nervous. There were footsteps, and then she was met with Silas, dark hair tousled, clad in rumpled breeches and a white shirt. He blearily blinked down at her, rubbing his face.

"It's late, Lark," he muttered. "What's this about?"

She stared at him, wondering how he so easily could have forgotten. There were more footsteps, and Aspen appeared in the door in much the same state as Silas. He didn't bother to mask his astonishment at seeing her there.

"Lark," he breathed, but didn't say more. She pushed between them, moving into the room. Silas closed the door, putting his back to the wood and leaning against it, watching her. She walked farther into his chambers. Silas's bed was a mess, and Aspen retreated to a chair by the hearth that was piled with blankets. Several bottles were strewn across tables and the floor. They had been drinking. Heavily.

Lark picked up a glass that wasn't quite empty, swirling it and raising a brow towards Aspen.

"Is this why you haven't been sleeping well?" she asked gently. He wouldn't meet her gaze.

"Can I get you a drink?" Silas asked, moving to the fireplace.

"Nothing strong."

Nodding, Silas crouched by the flames, moving a pot filled with water into the coals.

"What's wrong?" he said, sitting back on his heels. "It's the dead of night."

"Have you so easily forgotten about another man's life?" she said, shaking her head. He exhaled, folding his legs as he said beside the fire.

"Rory," he sighed in answer. Aspen looked up, his brow furrowed.

"Rory?" he asked. "What about him?"

Lark shot a look towards Silas. "He doesn't know?"

"What don't I know?" demanded Aspen.

"You had enough to worry about," Silas muttered to his brother, taking a bottle from the floor and raising it to his lips, his voice echoing in the glass. "I didn't want you to get involved."

"He's going to be hanged tomorrow!" Lark growled. "You didn't think Aspen should be involved?"

Aspen rose to his feet, looking down at Silas.

"I've known Rory for half my life," he said. "We learned to fight together when we were children. I assigned him to Lark because there isn't a soldier I trust more, and you didn't want to tell me that he's going to be executed?"

Silas got to his feet. He was only slightly taller than Aspen, but it gave him an imposing air.

"He has the mark on his shoulder!" he snarled. "What would you have me do?"

Lark sank into chair, putting a hand to her head as she sobbed, horribly frustrated. Both Silas and Aspen turned to her, their argument dying.

"Lark..." they both spoke at the same time, then awkwardly looked to the floor, not seeming to know what to do or say. Pulling herself together, she wiped her cheeks with the heel of her hand and stood.

"You can't let him hang," she said to Silas. "Rory's life is in your hands. His death will be on you."

"Are you saying he's innocent? That he didn't put your life in danger? I know about his fights, know that you were there."