The downfall.

Emma smiled as she pulled up to the Mayoral Mansion and put the car in gear, she sat in the yellow 'death trap' for a moment. The blonde women took a moment to just be still and think about how she found her 'forever family'. She felt her heart almost burst when she thought about the love she and Regina shared, with each other and their son.

Their son.

She was also taking a moment to reflect because she had just found out she was pregnant. She and Regina had never even broached the possibility of two women conceiving let alone them having a baby together. But here she was, 8 weeks pregnant with Regina Mills baby. Her smile grew and her face was aching and she was pretty sure if anyone was to walk past an see her they'd ring ward 8. Her hand dropped to her tummy and she breathed out. Her smile dimmed for a moment when her thoughts focused on how Regina had been around her lately. Emma swore it was like they were back to the beginning.

"Come on Swan, you can do this. Just walk in and tell her." She was running her hands through her hair as she spoke out loud to herself. "But what if she doesn't want it? I mean i know we've never talked about kids or anything but, she won't make me abort it, right?" Realizing she wasn't about to get answers to any of her questions talking to herself she steeled herself, exiting the car and running to the door.

Letting herself in she followed the smell of Regina's lasagna that invaded her senses as soon as the door unlocked. "Hey beautiful." The younger women had decided to take a chance and walked straight to her and wrapped her arms around her waist from behind, if her tummy hadn't chosen to rumble at that moment she would have felt Regina stiffen.

"Good evening Emma." Even though the brunette had tensed in the taller woman's arms she leaned back into her touch, silently cursing her body for betraying her.

"Mmm, Lasagna. How was your day? I've got something to tell you later."

"My day was fine thank you. You already know how this morning went and nothing much happened since we had lunch. And I have something to say to." She had tried to keep the snap out of her voice, but apparently was failing.

"Um, okay." Emma's smile slowly slid off her face as she let go of Regina and walked around the island so it was between them. "Are you okay Regina?" As Regina stayed silent Emma's nerves did the opposite and she couldn't help herself when she started to pick at her nails.

"I'm fine," The Miss Swan was swallowed but not missed by either present. "I'm tired is all." Regina kept her eyes on the chopping board in front of her.

"Sure. Where's the kid?" Emma cringed when her pinkie finger started to bleed and cursed her old habits.

"He's at Nicks. It is the weekend dear," Emma's brow furrowed in confusion at Regina. "I would have thought you knew the days of the week after thirty years walking this planet. You did attend school, did you not? Or did you throw away your education as well?" Regina didn't plan on saying that, or insulting Emma's intelligence but she did.

"Whoa!" Emma threw her hands in the air. 'Where is this coming from?' She thought to herself.

"What the hell Regina?! I forgot he was going, I have a lot on my mind right now, is that okay with you, Your Majesty?! And why do I feel like you're implying that I threw away my son?" Emma ran a hand through her curls and took a deep breath, she had purposely ignored that barb at her education. This is not what she had in mind when she sat in the station's bathroom waiting for a test that would change her life.

She watched as Regina stilled her hands and turned calmly to face the blonde. "Why Miss Swan, it's perfectly fine for you to forget your son exists. When a simple minded person allows herself to be swamped by everyday life no one can blame them really." Regina felt her heart break at the lost look on Emma's face. This really isn't the way she wanted it to go when she talked to Robin about this all those weeks ago. Ever since that day he had visited her at her office she couldn't stop herself from thinking about what he said.

-----

"I love you Regina. Only you. The minute we got to New York i knew what a mistake I had made." They were sitting in her office. Regina almost threw a fireball at him on sight but there was something in the way he said her name that stopped her.

"Eighteen months Robin. If you realized as soon as you say, why wait?" Regina hated herself for asking but she told herself she needed to.

"I had a wife and a child Regina, both of whom knew nothing of how this world works. I was lucky, I had you when I was here. Marion had no one."

"Where are they now? Did your wife tag along for the road trip?"

" We're getting divorced. I came back for you Regina. I love you."

"I will never be someone's second choice Robin, that's three times you've chosen Marion over me. And what If I'm with someone?"

Robin scoffed and leaned forward. "The Savior? Come now Regina, you know that she doesn't mean that much to you as I do. I'm your soulmate."

She almost protested how happy she was with Emma. But she didn't. She couldn't not when her happy ending was counting on him. The two had met up everyday after lunch for the past nine weeks. She loved Emma, of course. Regina just really, really needed to see if he was it for her.-

------

The Mayor shook her head to clear it and locked her eyes on her blonde lover in front of her. "Look, this is not how I wanted this discussion to go. Dinner's almost ready, we'll eat and then talk. Would you like a glass of wine while we wait?" Her eyes were glued to the top of Emma's head and she ducked trying to catch her eyes, the Sheriff's head was hung so low Regina would've thought her chin and chest were one. She was breaking both their hearts tonight.

'I'd like something a lot stronger' Emma scoffed to herself. She shook her head as she turned to leave the kitchen and mumbled something that sounded like an apology. "No, some heavy stuff happened at the station today." Not totally a lie "I think I'm just gonna go lay down a bit."

Regina watched her stand and berated herself for not noticing the dark circles and teeth indentations on the blondes lips. "Wait," She had raced around the island and reached for Emma's shoulder. Her girlfriend stopped but didn't face her. "Is everything okay over there? Is that why you were late, what happened?" 

"Nothing, don't worry about it. I have a feeling that after tonight it won't be any of your business anyways." She shucked the tanned hand off her person and made her way up to the guestroom. Something told her that she wouldn't want to go anywhere near 'their' room.

In the kitchen Regina sat at the counter and drained the rest of the wine, she would need liquid courage for this, she told herself. 'It's best for everyone if it just ends now anyway. We were fooling ourselves thinking we could be a family. Thinking we were each others happy ending.'

She gritted her teeth and her heart clenched when she thought about how happy Emma made her. 'Fuck!' She opened another bottle to air before pulling the lasagna out to cool.

Sighing she made her way up to their room to collect Emma for dinner. She knocked politely and pushed it open a little. "Emma dinner is-" She looked at the perfectly made bed and frowned. Stepping into the room fully she glanced around it, looking for any sign of blonde hair that smells like cinnamon, or a red jacket that feels like home. Frown deepening she makes her way to the master bathroom throwing the door open and almost growling when it appeared empty.

A/N Thank you so much for reading! This is my first fic that I've published and I am grateful to any and all critique! Thanks again lovelies xx