Chapter Twenty-Four

H.
"Harry, you look great!"

"My God, you've been liftin', haven't you?"

"Mr. and Mrs. Butterfield," I greeted Nancy's parents, giving the best smile I could. "Good to see you both again."

"Mum, Dad, I thought we decided to hold off reunions till the wedding," Nancy laughed, hugging her parents.

Nancy's mum smiled big, her teeth showing and eyes crinkling.

"Nan, it's been nearly six months since we've visited, I think I have the right to see my own daughter."

"Harry, mind helping me out with our bags?"

I widened my eyes only slightly, nodding my head as Nancy's father and I walked out down the drive and to their car while the women headed inside. He popped open the trunk and I was pleased to see only two bags. I wasn't expecting their company and quite frankly, I was hoping they wouldn't stay very long.

"Hold on," Mr. Butterfield said when I went for the bags. "The girls need some time to catch up, and so do we men, eh?"

I scratched the back of my neck, wishing to be anywhere but alone with either of Nancy's parents.

They were both very different than my own parents.

For starters, they had more money than I'd ever see in my lifetime, and their house was big enough to fit two of mine.

They cherished their country club lifestyles, and were constantly taking cruises and going on holidays.

I wasn't entirely sure what Nancy's father did for a living. When I asked, the answer was very vague.

"He cleans up," Nancy had said one time, which ultimately lead me to believe he was a Hitman or some bullshit like that.

Of course, I doubted that was his actual profession and assumed she was only joking. I simply never asked again.

Mr. Butterfield reached into the pocket of his coat, pulling out a pack of cigarettes. He held the box out to me and I politely said no. He shrugged.

"So, Harry," he said, lighting his cigarette. "How do you feel about June?"

I cringed as I inhaled the smoke, biting back a cough.

"Well... They say a summer wedding is always the best."

Little did he know, I was plotting a way to break things off with his daughter.

Mr. Butterfield said, "I suppose so. Hope Nancy hasn't been too harsh on anyone. She and her mother are the same; both bossy and demanding. Oh, and needy."

He let out a hoarsely chuckle.

I didn't want to agree with him out loud. I sort of felt like it would be disrespectful to say that his daughter was a spoiled princess who threw fits when she didn't get what she wanted.

Nancy was a sweet, wonderful person but when things didn't go her way, she wreaked havoc. And I mean full-on tantrums.

And that was one reason it was going to be more than difficult when I finally got that chance to tell her about Taissa and me.

"She's um... She's quite something," I admitted, making her father laugh. "But she's a lovely girl, sir."

"She is. Which is why I should tell you right now: you break her heart, I break your legs." His face was serious for a second before he let out a hysterical laugh.

Despite his laughing, I knew he held some truth to it. It was a father's job to protect his daughter from getting heartbroken. And something told me he wouldn't hesitate.