Chapter 7

Ren looks back at Kyoko, her face is ghost white and the fear in her eyes is almost palpable. The grip on his rifle tightens and he turns to the front door. 'Like hell I'll let them take her.' He thinks as he readies himself for a fight. Lory walks up to Ren calmly and places a firm hand on his shoulder, gives a reassuring grin then opens the front door and steps through with Sebastian on one side and Sawara on the other. The rest stay in the house and pick a window to shoot through if the worst happens.

Kyoko decides to take action on her own, not wanting anymore people hurt. She grabs Jelly's arm and asks with a serious face.

"Can you cut my hair and I need a spare set of cloths and a roll of bandage wrappings." Jelly looks at her puzzled at first, then a small smile graces her lips and she grabs Kyoko's hand and pulls her into her room with Maria following closely behind.

First they helped her out of her dress then for good measure wrapped her chest with bandages. Jelly and Maria unbind the splints as Kyoko asks and Jelly borrows the appropriate mens clothing. Jelly collects almost everything from Yukihito, a black pair of jeans, undershirt, dark blue button down long sleeve shirt and a pair of black boots. Jelly finds a spare cowboy hat from the hallway closet and the ensemble is almost complete, all that's left is the hair. Jelly helps Kyoko to the vanity set, before she starts Maria steps up.

"Can't we just pile it under the hat, it'd be a shame to cut it."The girl says rolling some locks between her fingers.

"I wish we could, but we need to be as authentic as possible in this situation." Kyoko tells the young girl. Maria steps back to watch as Jelly gets busy.

Meanwhile Outside

It was a small raiding party that had come to take Kyoko, eight braves and an older man who spoke for the tribe known to Lory as White Cloud.

"Thank you White Cloud for that surprising greeting, now what can I do for you today?" Lory asked smiling but very much aware of the angry braves menacing glares.

"My people want the dark haired woman, we've lost two of ours today and the other is injured and the Chief's son. He wants the woman or your scalps." White Cloud says his English rough but easily understandable; Lory thinks for a moment then replies.

"I'm sorry for your losses White Cloud however no such woman is here. One of my men found the stage driver and we gave him a proper burial but we found no woman." White Cloud translates to the braves and they talk amongst themselves then White Cloud replies.

"They will not trust your words, Colored Man." White Cloud says shaking his head.

"No need, we'll prove it." Jelly states as she walks out the door. She winks at Lory and gives him a small smile.

"Yes by all means, White Cloud you're welcome to come in, I'll show you around." White Cloud explains to the braves and they agree. White Cloud gets off his horse and follows Lory into the house. He is met at the door by all the men in the house, introduced to each then they move from room to room until they come to the last bedroom. The bedroom Kyoko has been staying in, Lory holds his breath as he opens the door. Inside is his granddaughter and a young boy. Upon looking closer he realizes that the boy is Kyoko, shocked and very impressed Lory just stand staring. Maria jumps into her grandfather's arms and jabs him hard in the shoulder.

"Who is this man, grandfather?" Maria asks innocently. The jab disturbs Lory's staring state and he replies.

"This is White Cloud, a very respected Sioux Indian, he is looking for a young woman. I'm proving that she is not here." Maria smiles and jumps down running over to the boy.