Chapter 6

"May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand. Amen" Lory gave out the prayer with a solemn voice, which the wind seemed to carry away into the heavens. The engraving was simple on the marker. Sam Childers. A good man. Died June 23, 1874. Tears stream Kyoko's cheeks as she remembers the man, he had always been kind towards her on the journey and she vowed to always remember him. As the others begin to thin out around her slowly Kyoko continues to stand by his grave as the Ishibashi Brothers begin to shovel the dirt on top of him. Ren stands firm as well watching Kyoko wanting to wipe the tears from her face so bad and embrace her in a comforting hug. Instead he quietly waits until she is ready to leave then walks over to her and offers his help as she tries to climb into the wagon on her own. Once settled she looks down at him and smiles weakly.

"Thank you Mr. Tsuruga, for everything." Ren looks up into her still tear eyes and gives her his brightest smile.

"Call me Ren please Kyoko." He climbed up beside her and Ren drove up to the porch as close as he could with the team. Yukihito was waiting to help Kyoko down and he helped her back to her room while Ren drove the wagon and the horses back to the barn and unhitched everything.

"Dinner will be shortly." Yukihito told her as he left the room to give her some privacy and alone time. Kyoko fished into her dress pocket for Corn, she held it up to the fading light of the day as it turned colors before her eyes she let all her emotions seep into the stone and little by little she became calm. She began to think of her next steps, she had to get word to Shotaro somehow that she wasn't going to be able to make it right away and break the news that all of his belongings had been destroyed. She sighed heavily at the thought as a knock interrupted her.

"Come in." She spoke loudly and the door swung inward. The President walked in wearing a completely different and flamboyant set of clothing, this time he was dressed as a noble.

"I've come to escort you to dinner, but before that I have some questions." Lory said as he sat by her bedside. Kyoko nodded her agreement and waited for his questions.

"If you don't mind me asking, where were you heading to be in such a hurry to use Sam's baggage coach?" Kyoko told Lory about her childhood friend and how he had left promising to send for her when he settled down.

"He's waiting for me in Sulpher Springs probably worried I haven't arrived yet. I need to send word explaining that I'll be late and without his belongings." Kyoko continued, Lory listened and nodded his agreement.

"Your leg will probably take at least a week to heal, maybe more before you can travel without complications. We have a telegraph machine here for emergencies, I can send word to Sulpher Springs for you so don't worry about anything but healing that leg." Kyoko smiled brightly and thanked Lory excessively. Lory just laughed and enjoyed her smiling face.

"Where are your parents Kyoko, do they know you are following him?" Kyoko's eyes grew wide then her head tilted forward her bangs shielding her eyes. When she looked up there were tears welled up in her eyes and unspeakable sorrow showed behind them.

"They don't care where I am, or what I'm doing." Kyoko replied just above a whisper. There was something in Kyoko's tone and her expression that pleaded to drop the subject but Lory couldn't help but wonder. 'What kind of life has this girl been living.?' A light knock on the door disturbed any further business he had with her, at the door Yukihito smiles at the two and announces.

"Dinner is ready and everyone has gathered." Lory stands from the bedside chair and offers Kyoko her crutches then accompanies her to the dining room, Yukihito close behind. The table was one of the biggest Kyoko had ever seen, it was big enough to accommodate everyone and then some. The table was piled high with meat, potatoes, corn on the cob, greens and more. Such an extravagant feast was foreign to her and despite herself it showed quiet openly on her face. Lory chuckled at her expression and explained.

"In celebration of Sam's life and your welcomed stay Sebastian went all out." Kyoko smiled and thanked Sebastian as she found her seat, Ms. Woods on her left and Ren on her right. Ren stood from his seat and offered to take her crutches and put them behind her against the wall. Kyoko smiled her appreciation when he came back and helped push in her chair.

"Thank you very much Mr. Tsuru...I'm sorry, Ren." Kyoko corrected herself. Ren smiled lightly and nodded.

"Not a problem Kyoko." Lory stood at the end of the table and cleared his throat.

"Tonight we celebrate the life of Same Childers, and welcome the lovely Miss Kyoko Mogami to our montly crew for the next couple of weeks with this grand meal. Let's eat!" Lory raised his glass and everyone followed suit.

At that very moment shattered glass rung loud in every bodies ears. The glass in Lory's raised hand shatters in his hand and an arrow is buried deep in the wall behind him. The arrow had come through a window, shattered his glass and lay deep in the wall quickly moving back and forth. All the men jumped to get to their weapons in the hallway, while Jelly was trying to usher Maria into another room and help Kyoko. From outside Kyoko could hear some war cry's and then silence.

"Colored man, give us back the dark haired woman!" A man yells in barely understandable English.

Kyoko freezes in place her blood running cold with fear when she hears him. The Indians had come back for her.