Chapter 8 - Coverup

Start from the beginning

My heart clenches at the thought that Mamá will think I'm still missing and probably dead. Even if we barely see each other, she's still my mother and I love her. I'd be devastated if our situations were switched.

"Does it have to be like that?" I ask, trying to fight the tears.

"If we want to keep you safe, then yes." I look away, shutting my eyes tighter, trying not to cry again. This is for my safety, to stay alive, so I have to do it, otherwise my mother could mourn me for real. "Don't worry, you won't be alone. Nora will stay with you."

"Won't that raise suspicions?" I ask then, taking deep breaths and finding so much comfort at the thought Nora will be with me.

"I'll say I've sent her back to her grandparents in Seoul because she's too depressed with your disappearance. She'll come with you instead."

"And where will I be going?" I continue with the deep breaths, doing my best to take this calmly instead of having a mental breakdown.

"You'll go with Clarisse." My head snaps in her direction, eyes widening in shock and disbelief.

"The same Clarisse that's been with me all these days?" Louise only nods her head. "But how... when did you—?"

"We haven't figured out all the details, but she said she'd help you when I briefly explained to her over the phone that it had to be kept a secret you were here."

"I'll be going to the orphanage with her?"

"It's a good place to hide you and as she already knows your situation, it means there's no need to tell anyone else. She's already taken care of you, she seems a better option than a complete stranger."

"I know but... it's weird."

"I know, but let me handle it all. I'll have a confidentiality agreement to be signed and I'll make sure to support the orphanage. For her help, she'll be greatly rewarded." Still a bit hesitant and worried about it, I nod my head. "Good. Now I'll go talk to Clarisse to settle the details and with your doctor. Please, take a good rest. I won't be able to stay for much longer in order not to set off the alarm in Laura's head, but I'll say goodbye before leaving."

"Okay," I agree reluctantly, squeezing her hand tighter. She pats my head in a loving way, smiling kindly and with her eyes filled with worry.

She kisses my forehead before leaving my side and the room, so I'm once again alone in here. My heart starts racing, my thoughts a whirlwind that leaves me breathless. I try to make sense of things, to put them in order, but it's impossible. I'm scared and so confused, I don't even know how to feel about it. About the fact I'll have to hide, the fact someone wants to kill me, and the fact even my family will think I'm still missing instead of recovering from the accident.

Even if Louise told me to rest, I can't. I try closing my eyes but I just get flashbacks from the accident: the car spinning, the noise, the pain. I only end up opening my eyes again, breathing hard and looking for someone around, but there's no one, which makes it even worse because that's how I was in the car, completely alone.

After what is seems forever, Clarisse and Louise walk in and I want to whine in relief, hoping any of them hurries to my side and reminds me I'm not alone, I'm not dying.

"Why aren't you sleeping?" Louise asks me, seeing my frantic expression and coming to take my hand.

"I can't... the accident is too vivid." Her face contorts in worry and sympathy, so she just sits next to me on the bed and brings me closer.

"It's okay, that's over now. You'll be safe, Blanca. Clarisse will take care of you and keep you hidden until we figure this out. It's temporary."

I look up at Clarisse who is smiling at me. "You'll be fine, love. I won't let anyone harm you."