Chapter 2

Anna Fisher hated bikinis.

At 16 she already had too many curves in too many places, and she didn’t like people staring at her. (her bum and boobs)

Putting on a bikini made her feel like Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl even when she was just standing alone in a Macy’s dressing room.

So why was there a bikini in the box on her bed?

The box looked like a present. It had shiny gold foil wrapping paper and a cheerful bright purple bow, as if to trick her into thinking, Hey, there’s something fun! and exciting! in here! There was even a little card on the top that read: For Anna! It’s going to be a great summer! In her mother’s perky, exclamation-point-happy handwriting.

But inside the box was this wine-red-monstrosity. Anna didn’t even pull it out all the way before she realized what it was and stuffed the pieces back in, hiding them under the folds of white tissue paper.

Seriously, Mom? Seriously?

Anna stood there staring at the present in horror, when her mother appeared in the doorway.

“Isn’t it great!?” Mrs. Fisher said happily. “I made sure I got you the best one! Is it light enough for you?”

“Um,” Anna said. Her twin brother, Andy, followed Mrs. Fisher into the room and slouched against the door frame. He didn’t look any happier than she was. Maybe he’d gotten some sinister, inappropriate presents, too.

Anna’s mom sat down on the bed and pulled the bikini out of the box, laying it out flat on the comforter. It wasn’t as bad as Anna thought- it was after all her favorite color, it complimented her skin tone quite well, but still. There was no way she was wearing that.

“Andy, are you as confused as I am?” Anna asked. “Does Mom think the Holy Spirit of Athletic Daughters Everywhere has finally arrived to posses me?”

Andy shrugged, and Anna’s mom batted at her with the top of the bikini box. “I’m right here, Anna.”

“I’m aware.” Anna said closing her eyes, putting her hand on her forehead in frustration.

She didn’t even need to ask.

“It’s for Summer Spotlight.”

“The Camp?” Anna said. “I thought Andy and I were doing the art program at the school. Mom, did you get paint brushes and swimsuits mixed up?”

“Turn’s out the art program was full,” Anna’s mom said. “So you’re doing Summer Spotlight. Won’t that be fun!? And it’s close enough for you to ride your motorcycle there! It’s easier on me, you know mama is busy during summer. It’s hard work.”

“It’s a Moped, not a Motorcycle, and I don’t think going to Australia for a Cruise is really hard work.” I whined.

“Well, there’s bad news. Andy’s not going all the time, only some days.”

“What?” Anna fumed. The whole point of having siblings was that you never had to go anywhere by yourself. SO you never had to stand around awkwardly, feeling like a pigeon in a flock of flamingos, while nobody talked to you. You always had someone to stand awkwardly with you. That was the whole point. Andy still wouldn’t meet her eyes, “But why?! We were going to do it together!”

“We’ve decided Summer Spotlight is not what Andy needs right now,” Anna's mom said.

“Mom, that’s not fair! Why does he get to stay home and play video games while I have to go out and look like an idiot all by myself?”

“Anna this good for you! If you look on the brightside its a good chance for you to make new friends beside Andy.” Her mom stood up in a conversation-over kind of way.

I do have friends! Anna thought angrily. I have Bianca, that was currently in Brazil. But I also had Liliana a.k.a Lily.

“No, I won’t!” Anna cried. “Oh, Mom, I’ll be the only person I know there! No one will talk to me and it’ll be so awful; please don’t make me go without Andy!”

“You’ll know someone else,” Andy said, finally chiming in. “Jake’s going to Camp, too.”

Thump-thump.

Anna felt her heart jump up and bang into her rib cage. Okay, that did make a difference.

“And I enrolled you in Tennis for Teens.” Her mom said leaving the room quickly before Anna could complain.

“Jake?” Anna said, picking up the tennis racket and trying to flip it again. She hoped the nervous shake in her voice would be hidden by the clatter of the falling racket. “He’s going to tennis camp?”

Andy nodded. “He’ll be in the advanced class, of course.”

“Of course,” Anna said, losing hope again. Jake was one of the best tennis players at their school. And she was sure to be terrible, which probably wasn’t the best way to impress him.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

OMG! Please tell me what you guys think of this book! And please vote!! Please. I really want this book to reach the watty awards, and me and Shane agreed if I didn't get the votes he thinks i deserve, I promised I'd take down the book. So please at the end of each chapter just hit the vote button. It's not really that hard, and go around on your friends wallss and tell them about this book! If you tell 10 people to check it out and they confirm it to me, Shane who has 500 something followers will shout you out. (: Make sure to comment what you think! Rate my writing style on a scale from 1-10 and comment and I'll do the same for you. :)-Kinsley Mckenny

Photo on the side is Anna. :)