Chapter 5

I was so, so, so glad that Andy had his eyes glued to the camera controls and didn’t see her expression. Jake kept his arms over his face, so he didn’t notice, either. I felt like I might faint. There was a really awkward pause, and I wondered if I was supposed to make a joke here.

I started to say, “As if-” at the same time Jake said, “Well I-” and they both stopped.

“What were you going to say?” he asked. He put his arms down and tilted his head back to look at me.

“Um, just... as if she’ll believe that.”

“Why?” Andy said. I wished Jake would say something, but he just kept looking at her.

“Well, if you think Stacey is out of his league, then I’m in a whole other solar system, aren’t I?” I tried to joke.

“Actually, It might work,” Jake said. I bit my tongue, I was so surprised.

“Sure it will,” Andy said. “Anna will be at Spotlight, too, so Stacey can see you’re together. And it’s only for a little while, until Stacey gets over you. And it’s not like there’s anyone Anna wants to date, so you’re hardly putting a dent in her love life. Right, Anna?”

That’s nice. Thanks, Andy.

“What do you say, Anna?” Jake asked, rolling over onto his stomach and propping his elbows on the floor and his chin in his hands adorably. “Want to be my pretend girlfriend?” His eyes were like storm clouds, big and unstoppable and irresistible.

Anna, this is what you’ve been dreaming about.

Correction: This is a strange parody of what you’ve been dreaming about. Is this really what you want? Being Jake’s pretend girlfriend?

Yeah, sure, okay. Close enough!

“Okay,” I said, feeling dizzy. “I mean, it’ll be tough pretending to like you, but I guess I can take one for the team. Right?”

“You’re my knight in shining armor,” Jake said, getting up and kneeling on the couch next to her. Right next to her. “My hero, my warrior princess,” he said, taking her hand. “My King Kong.” He pressed her hand to his heart. She could actually feel it beating through the soft fabric of his shirt. It was going really fast. Nearly as fast as hers, but he was an athlete, so it probably went that fast all the time.

“Okay, here are the Rules of Pretend Dating Anna,” I said. “You need to stop comparing me to a giant gorilla.”

“What are the other rules?” he asked. He was still holding her hand against his chest.

“That’s the only one,” she said. Was her voice shaking? Could he tell? “So far. I’ll keep you posted as others come up.”

He grinned. “I’ll look forward to it.”

“Okay,” Andy said, standing up. “I think I’ve figured out how to change it to night recording. Let’s go test it in the shed.” He picked up a flashlight and headed for the stairs. Anna couldn’t

believe her own twin hadn’t noticed how much she was blushing. She wanted to stay where she was forever, but she pulled her hand free and scrambled off the couch.

“Great, okay,” she said. “Sounds like fun.” She looked back from the doorway. “Coming, Jake?”

“You bet,” he said, standing up and stretching. “Where my girlfriend goes, I go.”

Anna shivered.

I always thought my first boyfriend would be Jake. But I never thought it would only be pretend...

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Eeeeeeeeeeep! Good yet?! Vote and I will post more, don't vote, forget it. Don't forget I have a life outside of wattpad too! And i DO try to come on here to update, and i make my chapters fairly long. Anyway, add my book to your public librarys, vote, follow me, COMMENT. Rates and commenting are HIGHLEY appreciated and I will always answer. You know the drill. :)- XOXO Kinsley Mckenny