1

I suppose twenty minutes away is close enough to January. Happy New Year-ish!

Morvi College of Magical and Muggle Careers.

The school vaguely reminds me of Hogwarts with its extravagant castle aesthetic, yet it seems more prestige and ornate than Hogwarts ever will be.

With a suitcase in either hand, I embark through the cream colored gates into the foyer. I try not to focus on the crowd of strangers, but rather on locating dorm NA45. I take a moment to glance around the room for clues to locate my dorm. In the circular room, two winding staircases are located on either opposite side of the room. A large set of double doors separates the two. Hanging from the ceiling is an elegant chandelier that bounces rainbows of light around the mosaicked room. Dangling above the double doors is a sign.

Left: Dorms N
Muggle classes

Straight: Cafeteria
Greenhouse
Fields

Right: Dorms M
Wizarding classes

I weave my way through the sea of people to ascend the left set of stairs. The next level is set up the exact same format, except broken into more specifics such as where the stage is versus art class. I end up treking to the tenth floor, the highest possible level. The signs only reads one thing.

Straight: Dorms NA

The doors have already been opened, revealing another circular room with a ladder stretching up a to the celling where there's an opening to climb through. The walls are lined with dark wood doors, labeled in bronze numbers and letters. Small platforms wrap around the bottom of the doors.

"You have to climb."

I turn around to see an exhausted boy.

"Pardon?"

"You climb the ladder until your floor and swing over onto the platform." He pulls out a wand and waves it at my bags. They slip out my hands and hover around me. "It's best to hold on with both hands."

"Thanks." I start to climb the ladder, reading the numbers as I go up. Fifteen... Twenty-five... Thirty-six... Forty-five!

I swing myself on the platform, my bags close behind, and scrounge in my pocket for the key. I see an immediate split when I get the door open. To my left, the white walls are bare, my bed mattress is unmade, and there is a small box on the floor labeled "optional accessories." To my right, the walls are painted in Van Gough style sunflowers. The bed is fixed with a chocolate brown set, littered with golden throw pillows. A desk is pushed against the wall with a laptop on it.

I step in and shut the door behind me.

"Hello!" A head pops out of a wicker basket on the floor.

I scream and jump back, hitting my head on the door.

The head laughs and steps out the basket, revealing her body.

"Extendable charm?" I ask weakly, clutching my heart.

"You should have one in your box. We don't have closets here."

I only nod.

"My name's Bryn."

I drag my floating bags to my bed. "Laney."

"If you didn't know, NA dorms can paint their walls any way you'd like. The walls repair themselves to original state at the end of the semester."

"Alright." I drag the box onto my bed and dig through it. Everything is about the size of my hand. I pull out the desk, lamp, and basket.

I set the lamp on the desk and the desk on the ground before I expand it to its proper size.

"Before you start unpacking," Bryn says. "You should know I'm gay, and if that upsets you or makes you uncomfortable, you can switch out like the others."

I shrug. "That's fine."

She smiles. "Great. I'm going to go back in the basket and organize, but when I'm out, we can go to the cafeteria and grab a bite."

I turn back to my bags, unlock them, and wave my wand for the bed to make itself. My personal belongings either find home on the windowsill or soar into the basket. I set the basket on the ground and step into it.

Lights are fastened to the walls of the basket, illuminating the multiple shelves and drawers around the area. I open a few drawers to make sure my things sorted themselves out before I step back into my room.

With all my things in place, I flop onto my bed and grab my journal.

I made it alright. Unpacked.

The book heats up a second later.

I miss you like crazy.

I miss you too.

I spent a year living with Fred and George, but I felt something missing in my life. Financial independence. I hated working for Fred and George, not because they're awful bosses, but because pranks aren't my forte. So, I decided to pursue my dreams of being a professional musician. I'm good, but I'm not great. So, did some research and found Morvi.

Now I'm here.

What are you going to do now?

My roommate wants to go grab a bite.

Don't forget the pepper spray I bought you! (Sexual assaults always happen at the prestigious schools.)

I laugh and push the journal under my pillow.

"Ready?" Bryn's head asks.

I grab my purse. "Let's go."