Chapter 28

Christian's POV

She looked like she was about to cry. I really wanted to go comfort her, to embrace her in my arms, but she said she wanted to get some fresh air and that she wanted to be alone. I had no other choice but to let her. She had every right to be upset with me. I had failed to keep the one promise I made with her. The promise to protect her. I didn't even know that she got treated the way she did until she told me herself. If she didn't tell me, no one else would. Plus, this was the second time she cried because of me. How could I have let this happen again? I stood there silently and helplessly as she walked away from me and out the door before firmly shutting it behind her.

I walked into the living room and sat down on the leather sofa. I leaned back onto the cushions, closed my eyes and sighed deeply. All kinds of emotions swirled in my head- anger, frustration, despair... I needed to fix this. I had to fix this. What happened at the company this morning, it was all my fault. If I had told her the truth, things wouldn't have turned out this way.

There was no way I was going to lose Cali. I never thought I would fall in love again, not after what happened with Vivian, but then Cali came along. I had to end this, whatever this was. I had to stop things before Cali gets more hurt than she already is.

When I first found out about the termination of Cali's contract, the first person that crossed my mind was none other than my mother. She was against the two of us dating from the very beginning. Who could be more suspicious than her?

My suspicions were confirmed when Cali told me about what happened at the company. My mother was behind what happened with the security guard. She also suspected my mother for what happened with her contract too.

I had to go speak with my mother again. She didn't seem to get the message last time. I grabbed the keys I left on the kitchen counter and hurried out the door.

35 minutes later...

The maid told me that they were both in the study. I stormed inside and demanded for answers.

"What did I tell you about knocking?!" my father yelled on the top of his lungs.

"Forgive him this once Michael. There must be a reason why he came here so urgently. Our son must have something important to tell us."

"Mother, I want you to give Cali back her job. You had no right to terminate her contract."

"Why, I did no such thing," my mother denied right away.

"I know it was you, Mother," I accused. "I already know that you told the security guards at the company to treat Cali badly if she ever comes. There's no one else who could've done this."

She took a sip of her tea and her eyes nodded over at my father. "Okay, I admit it. I did instruct the security guards to do that, but I did not terminate her contract. Did you forget that there's someone else in this room who also wants to get rid of your precious Cali as much as I do?"

I had assumed it was my mother the whole time, but I seemed to have forgotten my father and his strict rules. He would never accept someone like Cali as his daughter in law. Never.

"Was it you?"

"I only did this to test your girlfriend, son," he explained calmly. "And she failed my test."

"What test?" I asked.

"Before I explain it to you, answer this question first. What do you know about this girl?"

I didn't know what to say. Cali and I didn't get the chance to get to know each other yet. So many things happened.

"Do you know why she came into our company?"

"Yeah, they offered her a salary of her choice and a free apartment. I know that much at least," I said feeling quite proud of myself at my knowledge.

"Someone like that, you trust her?"

I nodded. "I do."

"Well I created a test to see her true intentions. I terminated her contract then I sued her for it, making her shoulder an enormous amount of money as debt."

"You sued her???" I exclaimed in shock. "How could you do that?"

"I'm not finished speaking, don't interrupt me, it's rude. As I was saying, I used this chance and offered her the money, seeing if she'll catch the bait. If she was just like you said, someone who isn't sticking by your side for money then she won't take it. What do you think? Do you have confidence in her? Will she reject or accept it?"

"She won't accept it," I said confidently.

"Wrong. She accepted it. If you don't believe me, here." He handed me a sheet of paper.

On the paper, it showed that a large amount of money was deposited into her bank account recently. I couldn't believe this. Cali actually took the money?? Was she that desperate to pay the company back? Could she.. maybe.. approached me to get rich? To get money? I felt so doubtful of her actions now. Did she on purposely stand out to get my attention?

"Excuse me, I'll be leaving. I need to go see her," I announced before running out of the study.

She'll have a reasonable explanation for this. She will.. yeah she will. I tried to brainwash myself to believe that as I drove back to the apartment. I was going to call her but I only just noticed that I had forgotten my phone back at home.

A/N: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! WISH YOU ALL THE BEST IN THE YEAR OF 2016 :) Thank you so much for supporting this story of mine. I never ever imagined that people would actually read it, much less like it. Thanks so so so much! XOXO

***Should I offer another contest like the one I had earlier or something new? Suggestions are welcome ^~^