Chapter 27

I dried my tears with the back of my hand and got up from the ground. I wasn't going to give up this fight this easily, was I? I didn't want to think about it right now. All I wanted was some fresh air and to not think about Christian or his mother. I dusted myself off and took the elevator downstairs.

At the lobby, a lady at the front desk handed me a letter addressed to me when I was just about to walk past her. I didn't give much thought about what it was about at the moment and stuffed it into my bag.

I didn't even get the chance to walk out of the building when my phone rang. Brurrringgg! Brurring! Brurringggg!! I stopped walking and reached into my bag for my cell phone. My hand rummaged around inside the bag for a while until finally felt the familiar rectangular shape of my MyTouch.

I grabbed it and answered it without looking to see who it was first. "-hello?"

"Guess who??" the person asked cheerfully.

I brought the phone down from my ear and checked to see who it was. It was an unknown number. Who was this? "Who are you?" I asked suspiciously.

"I told you to guess," the person responded, not answering my question.

"Uhm..." I had no idea who it was. Who could it be? It sounded like a guy's voice. I didn't have many guy friends. Who cares whether my friends were female or male. I didn't have many friends at all. "I don't know, just tell me already."

"Here's a hint, my first name starts with an A and it ends with an N..." he hinted.

"Are you Aaron?" I guessed tentatively.

"Mhm hm, ding ding ding. You've got the correct answer. Your prize is a lunch date with the oh so fabulous and hot Mr. Aaron Evans."

"Haha very funny. How do you know my phone number anyways? I don't recall giving it to you..."

"It's a secret. They do say that a magician never reveals his secret. So is that a yes to lunch?"

"Alright, I guess so," I agreed reluctantly.

"Let's meet at the Starbucks across the street from the company," he said.

"Okay." I hung up and walked to the bus stop nearby.

***

I pushed open the glass door and walked into the coffee shop. The aroma of freshly roasted coffee beans hit my nostrils the minute I came in. Even though it was mid-afternoon, it was still crowded with coffee hungry customers. My eyes wandered around the small shop and searched for Aaron.

He waved from a small table in the corner and I headed over to him. I took the seat next to him and smiled awkwardly.

"Why are you still wearing the same thing as this morning?" he asked randomly.

"I didn't have time to change into something else."

"Did you cry?" he suddenly asked. "Your eyes look puffy." He leaned over the table and observed my face.

"Did Christian make you cry?" he asked when I didn't answer.

"I don't want to talk about it," I said, looking down at my hands.

"Okay, I'll cheer you up then. Wanna hear a joke?"

I nodded. I would listen to anything and everything except things that had to do with Christian.

"-insert joke here-" (A/N: mini contest here, comment your best or favorite joke here and I'll pick one and put it into the story.)

"What?"

"-insert the jokes answer here-"

I burst out laughing. "Hahahahahahaa!" I slapped my hands repeatedly on the surface of the table. "That's too funny."

"It's good to hear you laugh," he smiled. "I'll go get us drinks, stay here and think about how I'm such a great friend." He got up and walked away, toward the long line.

I used this chance to open that letter from earlier. I took it out of my bag and checked who it was from. Blissful Law Firm. A law firm? Did they send it to the wrong person? But my name was on there in fine print. What was going on? This was the second time today I felt so confused.

I quickly pulled out the sheet of paper folded inside and read its contents.

Dear: Ms. Cali Wilson.
We are representing Samsung Group. Due to the termination of your 4-year contract with Samsung Group, you have to compensate their losses by paying them twice the sum of salary they gave you when you were first hired. You've been given 1 month to do this task. If it's not paid by the end of the given time, they will see you in court.

The Blissful Law Firm

I was being sued???? Did Christian know about this? I crumpled the letter and took out my phone to call Christian to ask him about it.

Deed...deed..deed... The number you called is unavailable. Please try again later. Leave a message after the beep.

Why wasn't he answering? I pressed redial and called him again. Every time, it went to voicemail. No, I had to speak with him. I need to find him. I pushed the chair back and stood up.

I just had to bump into Aaron on my way out.

"Are you going somewhere, Cali?" He was holding two drinks, one in each hand and staring at me in confusion.

"I need to go do something that's really important, I'll call you another time to make this up," I said quickly before running past him.