"You always look beautiful, Clara."

I stop trying to smooth down my hair long enough to look at him. He's gazing down the dark alley, his expression relaxed and worried. I put my hands in my lap and exhale all of my anxieties away. Then, I lay my head on his shoulder for the last slice of comfort.

"Thank you." I whisper, suddenly content with myself.

He nods and puts an arm over my shoulder to make it a little more comfortable for me to lay on him. I breathe in a deep breath of his mild cologne and also a cold musky smell that I can't identify.

"I know." Alaric mumbles, "I smell like an old Viking cave."

"Have you been in an old Viking cave recently?" I comment, sarcastically.

He nods and I lift my head to look at him. His face says that he is completely serious.

"That... is kind of awesome." I exclaim, laying my head back down on his shoulder.

He chuckles and I hear it rumble through him. "I'm glad you think so. I feel like the inner history dork inside of me should be jumping for joy, but I can't stop thinking about how dangerous this is. I think I'm too old for this."

"I know exactly what you mean. I just said goodbye to my daughter who I will never see again because I cannot die."

He freezes for a second, reacting, "Your daughter?"

I hum a yes and instead of running for the hills like I had expected, he squeezes me a little tighter.

I can't help the small smile that comes over my lips. Alaric is the perfect gentleman and I couldn't possibly need anything more in this moment other than a never-ending supply to his simple, uncomplicated presence.

"Thanks for not thinking I'm scary." I whisper into the night after a long silence between us.

"You are many things, Clara, but scary is not one of them."

-----------

Alaric let me stay at his apartment for the night since I don't want to face Damon until I absolutely have to. I feel really grossed out by him and Adalynn's fling and I worry that he will want to explain himself as soon as he sees me.

I guess that means I am officially out two perfectly hospitable places to stay because of my own ignorance and worries. That is not counting Elena's house which has been deemed unworthy for me now that Alaric isn't staying there.

I put up a serious fight, but Alaric insists that I take his bed while he sleeps on the couch. I am grateful for his kindness towards me, but I feel a little embarrassed barging in like this. He tells me over and over again that he could use the company, but that doesn't stop the remorse from overwhelming me.

In the morning, Alaric quietly leaves to take pictures of the cave while I'm still sleeping soundly in his bed. He leaves me a note on the counter saying that I am welcome to help myself to anything.

I would feel awkward showering, so I make do with a French braid and a slash of cool water to the face to clean myself up. As usual, my magic helps me into a fresh pair of jeans and a clean blouse, but none of these elements seem to help clear the unusual puffy red skin under my eyes from crying.

When Alaric returns, I have coffee made and blueberry muffins in the oven. He inhales a surprising breath as soon as he opens the door.

"I'm official impressed." He expresses when I come around the corner, "I have never actually used the oven here before."

I shake my head, laughing, "There were a couple of cobwebs hanging around it, but it's fully functional now."

Alaric sets his bag on the kitchen countertop and starts pulling things out. I pour him a steaming mug of coffee to match my own before moving to his side.