Chapter Nine

CHAPTER NINE

EPONINE'S P.O.V.

"I like Grantaire." I said. 

"WHAT?" Enjolras yelled. He looked so stunned. 

"Um. Yeah, I like Grantaire." I said with a half smile. I looked down at my drink and started sipping on it. 

"I did not expect that." 

"Yeah. Well, it's true." 

"Wow. I don't even know what to say." 

"Please. Don't say anything." I said still looking down hoping not to make eye contact because that wasn't true. I liked... maybe loved... Enjolras. I don't like Grantaire that way. But I chickened out, I couldn't tell him I liked him because I wasn't sure if he liked me back. It seems like he does because of all the holding my hands, letting me live with him, and the way he looks and talks to me. Maybe I'll tell him later. I just hope he doesn't tell Grantaire that I "like" him. 

Enjolras still looked stunned. "I truthfully thought it was someone else." 

"Who did you think it was?" I asked. I hope he doesn't say himself. 

"Oh.. no one. Just thought it might be Courf or someone." I could tell he was lying. He probably thinks... knows... I like him. 

"No. I don't like Courfeyrac." I told him. 

"Well, we better head home soon. The boys all want to meet up like usual tonight and I have lots of work to do." 

"Alright. I'll get Gavroche, you get the check. I'll pay." I handed him some money and went to get Gavroche. 

"Did you tell him you liked him?" Gavroche asked. 

"No... Why?" 

"He asked me who you liked. I didn't tell him." 

"Are you sure you didn't tell him?" I said while remembering how Enjolras acted like he knew. 

"I might have accidentally given off an obvious signal but I did not tell him. I'm sure he doesn't know." Gavroche said innocently. I couldn't get mad at him. I just shook it off and hoped Enjolras did not know. I'll just act like I don't like him till I get the guts to tell him I do. 

We dropped Gavroche back off at Courfeyrac's house then went back to Enjolras' apartment. We were both silent the entire time, and silent we stayed for the rest of the afternoon. The only talking there was, was Gavroche bragging about all the tickets he won in the game center. I sat in the guest room Enjolras gave me, thinking of how I would tell him. I went out again for lunch just so I could get out of that awkward, tension filled apartment. 

That's when I felt a tap on my sholder and heard the chair next to me get pulled out. I looked over to see Grantaire sitting down. I stayed silent. 

"Funny seeing you here." He said. I didn't answer. "Listen, I know." 

I tensed up because I knew what he was talking about. "You know what?" I asked. 

"A little someone told me that you've got a crush on me." 

"Actually, that was a lie. Not that I wouldn't like you, I just like someone else." I told him. He looked a little upset. 

"I figured. Who would like a drunk like me? I mean... I have the looks, but the ladies don't agree with my drinking habbits." He snickered. 

"I like you Grantaire! Just more as a friend. You aren't my type." 

"I am no ones type. I'm the type of guy that girls parents tell them to stay away from." He laughed. I couldn't tell if he was actually upset or just joking. 

"So I'm guessing Enjolras told you?" I asked. 

"Yes. And let me guess, you told him you liked me because you didn't want to tell him you liked him?" He took a swig of his drink. 

"You are drinking at 12:30 in the afternoon?"

"Duh."

"Well, yes and how did you know I liked Enjolras?" 

"I can tell from the way you look at him. Plus, what girl wouldn't like him? He is better looking than most guys. I'll bet ya he uses them girly face products to keep his face looking so nice." 

We laughed at that. "Maybe that's where all my face washes are disappearing to!" I said and we laughed some more. 

"So when are you going to tell him the truth?" Grantaire asked.

"When I get the guts to." 

"Hey, the worst he can say is that he doesn't like you back. I'll bet you that you and him will be dating within a month after you tell him the truth." 

"I doubt it." 

"Think what you want. I'm gonna head over to the liquor store then over to the cafe. I'll see you there tonight?" 

"See you there tonight." I answered. "Drive safe." 

"I'm not that drunk, dimples." He said as he took another swig. 

"Dimples?" 

"It's your new nickname. I don't care if you don't like it." 

"Okay." I laughed, and he walked out the door.