three

You know when people say that when they wake up, they're disoriented and don't know what happened? Well, that's the opposite for Skylar James in her current situation. She remembered clear as day being shot in the side and passing out.

Skylar looked around at her new surroundings, trying to pick up on every little detail she could. It was a decent sized room, white walls, no windows, and one door. The thing that caught her attention was a large mirror plastered on the wall opposite of Skylar. She stared at her reflection, something she hadn't seen in a long time. There was a small cut above her right eyebrow, and dark hair now a long, tangled mess. Skylar's eyes startled her the most. It was obvious that the girl has not had a relaxing nights sleep in a while.

Skylar tried getting up, but her wrists were caught on something. Skylar struggled against the restraints, but they wouldn't budge.

"Dammit" The girl mumbled.

"It's good to see you're awake." A deep, velvety voice said. Skylar's head turned in the direction of the door.

"Well, well, if it isn't the American flag himself." Skylar managed to speak. Ever since  she woke up, her throat has been extremely dry and scratchy. Her focus was torn away from him and was directed toward the ceiling. He seemed to ignore her comment by his lack of response and instead, pulled a chair over to the right side of Skylar's bed.

"I need to ask you a few questions, m'am."

Skylar couldn't help but laugh, "M'am? Well don't you know how to flatter a lady."

He ignored her, again, and continued. "Do you know where you are?"

"I have a feeling you're going to tell me if I say no..."

"You're at SHIELD Head Quarters."

Skylar shook her head, letting him know she understood. "I've heard about you guys."

"Why were you running when we found you?" Blondie questioned.

"Something tells me that you already know the answer to that."

He leans back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest. The corner of his lips twitched into a sight grin.

"I do, I just wanted to hear it from you."

"If you already know, do you really think it's necessary to have me chained to this bed?" The girl lifted her palms up to show emphasis of the point she wanted to make.

"It's just a precaution."

"Can I ask you a question?" She took his silence as her cue to ask, "What's your name?"

"Steve."

She couldn't stop the small smile that made its way to her lips. "Well, Steve, it's nice to put a name to a face."

Before Steve could respond, there was a knock on the door, followed by a man with short dark hair, strong build, and a slight beard entering the room.

"Cap," The man said.

"Rumlow." Steve said, acknowledging the man's presence.

"Fury wants to speak with her."

✘✘✘

Before leaving the room she was in, Skylar was given a plain grey t-shirt, that was a bit too large, and a pair of black jeans to change into. Skylar followed behind Agent Rumlow with Steve behind her as they made their way down an abundance of hallways to where Skylar would be having a little chat with patchy the pirate. To say she was nervous to meet with the director of SHIELD would be an exaggeration; Skylar knew quite a bit about Nick Fury.

Steve led the small girl into the room where the interrogation would be taking place. He pulled out a chair for her and she took a seat.

"I'd have to say it's a pleasure finally coming face to face with the infamous, Crimson Ghost."

Skylar's heart rate accelerated at the mention of the name they gave her years ago. She had no control over her body as it lunged towards Fury, but two familiar strong arms enveloped around her frame, and placed her back in the chair.

The director gave no response to the attempt at choking him to death. Instead, he tossed a manilla folder onto the table.

Skylar James
"The Crimson Ghost"

"Miss James, it seems we have much to discuss."

___

Well, this chapter is a tad boring, but I can't really sleep so I did some writing instead. Things are about to get interesting soon so just prepare yourselves :))