1

It's been 30 years since the dead decided to be undead. It's been 5 days since Adam was infected. It's been 3 days since I shot him and left to look for survivors.

Loneliness was a heavy thing; It always made sure that you were aware of it and reminded you why you were lonely. 

Adam's dead. 

You shot him  

It's all your fault Myra. 

Give up Myra. 

I continued to walk. I had to live for Mom, Dad and Adam. I couldn't give up. I had to honor them in some way. That's why I buried his body. 

I shielded my eyes as I looked up at the harsh light that filtered through the seemingly perminant clouds above. It had to be noon, and so far I haven't run into any of the Undead--as long as I stayed out of the cities. There were always more in the cities.

Hefting my bag up higher on my shoulders, I trudged on carefully; stepping over debris and keeping an eye out for shelter and bandits. As I shuffled along, I thought often of what Adam might do in my situation, and absently grabbed his necklace that was now resting on my chest and rubbed the stone that hung there.

It was Adam's 10th birthday . I was jealous because Mom and Dad were treating him special. 

"Today you're a double didgit." Dad had said proudly, patting his head affectionately. I wanted to be 10. "I made you this." Dad pulled out a crude necklace from his trousers. The stone was grey with tiny flecks of silver in it; it's jagged shape was framed by wood. Adam had asked what it was, and he told him that it was a moon rock: a special rock from space.

I wanted one too.

Dad told him to never forget to reach for things that may seem impossible and far away. He said never giving up was what men do, and to never forget that while he was wearing it.

I never got a moon rock, but when I turned 10 my mom gave me a pretty silver ring with sparkly blue stones embezeling it. She said it was her family's hierloom. There was no cool  story behind it, but I still thought it was important anyway. 

I wore both to remember them. 

I couldn't dwell on these thoughts long though, because the smell of moisture in the air let me know that  the sky was going to open up and let loose all it's toxic rain. I had to find shelter now. 

Yanking  my hood over my head, I ran to a partially burried cart and started to dig so I could crawl under and wait out the storm. When the first droplets fell, I was safe under the cart; curled up on my side and using my pack to block the opening. 

This was lonely. 

I stayed curled up under this iron wagon and listened to the acidic pitter-patter of contaminated rain fall on everything it touched. I waited for maybe an hour or more, just listening and thinking and remembering things that I shouldn't. Right when my legs were starting to cramp, it stopped and I scooted my way out and stretched my aching limbs. A quick assesment of the sky let me know that I had 3 hours of day light left. I had to find a proper place to bunker down for the night. 

What would Adam do? 

I broke into an easy jog and kept a sharp eye out that looked sturdy enough to keep the Night Walkers out. 

Those were NOT something I wanted to to run into. They were fast and blind--but deadly all the same. They had no eyes, but a swollen, undilated nose and gaping holes where ears might have been. They relied on their senses, travled in packs and were hard to kill unless you attacked their senses to temporarily stun them. 

I prayed I wouldn't see any since I was down to my last stink bomb. 

Up ahead was some kind of shack that was slightly dipilated due to the wear and tear of the elements. It'd be the perfect place to stay. I spent time sorting through all the remaints of the surroundig land for scrap metal to patch up the exposed areas for extra coverage. Once I was as safe as I could be inside, I cleared a space for me to lay and opened a can of beans to quietly eat to the dying light. I huddled into myself to sleep and keep warm, and tried to ignore everything besides my own shaky breathing. 

I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to ignore the blood curdling screech of the Night Walkers calling to one another. I tried not to sob everytime I heard a small noise that I couldn't immediately identify, and I  tried my damndest to relax.

Everything is fine Myra. 

Calm down Myra. 

Be strong Myra. 

Dont cry Myra. 

I bit my lip and lay still with my muscles tense until i was too tired to stay alert and fell asleep