He Feared For Her Reaction

This is an IDEA! I hope that it doesn't really happen in the next book.

Eight years into their marriage, Scarlet had a question to ask Wolf. It wasn't the easiest thing to ask, though. And she certainly didn't want to sound pushy about it. The question had always been stirring in the back of her mind, ever since he confessed that he loved her.

You're the only one, Scarlet. You'll always be the only one.

Those same words gave her hope, an idea that she could be happy someday. Now, she had everything she could ever want. The house she grew up in was hers, Wolf married her and they couldn't be more in love, and her friends were always there for her. Well, that was almost everything.

Wolf worked as a guard for away trips taken by Cinder and Kai, or the Emperor and Empress. He would be gone from a few days, to his longest of two months. She was so lonely when he was gone, a side effect of being hopelessly in love. Emile would come sometimes and they'd have a good time, but she wanted to have what all of her friends had now.

Kids.

She knew that it would be hard, especially when Wolf was away. But they couldn't be any worse than she was as a kid, according to her Grand-mere.

Cress and Thorne had a little girl named Bianca Kathrine, but Crescent would often refer to her as Banana Kisses, since the child didn't like eating anything but Bananas, and giggled whenever she was kissed. It was adorable and sweet, just like the nickname.

Cinder and Kai had twin boys named Peter and Jacob, and a younger daughter named Helena. The boys were currently going through a phase of "trying to confuse people by standing next to each other". Since they were identical, it was fairly easy to do it. Only Helena could tell the difference between them, and she was only five.

Winter and Jacin had one girl and one boy, Sophia and Josh. They both loved to play with each other and did everything with the other. Partners in crime, was what they were called.

The reunions were grand and fun for all of the adults and children. No one was ever bored or alone, smiles could be seen everywhere. Though, once in a while, she could catch Wolf watching the children. When he did, sadness was clear in his eyes.

She thought Wolf didn't believe or know that she wanted kids. Maybe he did too, and had no idea how to ask. Or, he didn't and thought they were too much trouble.

Over the course of three weeks, Scarlet tried to work up the nerve to ask him. At dinner, she'd open her mouth to ask, and then close it. While watching Net Dramas they'd be cuddling and she pause them, only to play it again. Before they went to bed, she'd stare into his eyes and gulp.

You're a Benoit, for stars sake! Pull it together!

The first and last time she mentioned it to him was when her first niece, Helena, was born. He waved the subject away, but not like he would anything else. It was more out of nervousness and fear than smugness or objection. No ideas to why he did this came to her as she brainstormed to think of ways to ask him.

................

They were at the dining room table, eating tomato soup and garlic bread. There was no tension on him, but tons of it on her. She tugged on the sleeves of her red hoodie and took a bite out of her bread.

"What's wrong," Wolf questioned. He placed his spoon on the table and store at her with his bright green eyes.

She blinked a few times and lied, "Nothing."

"I know when you're lying, Scar." She put a spoonful of her soup in her mouth. "You know you can tell me anything, Scarlet."

"I know," she said a little too defensively.