Batchi the Bounty Hunter

Start from the beginning

Because from what she has learned from befriending Cathleen, daughter to a talent agency owner, a 'we'll call you sometime' is usually a code for 'you're not what we're looking for.

"So? Still nothing?" Cathleen asked again when the last interviewee finally left.

The short-haired girl sighed in defeat. "Nothing. Wala sa kanila."

"You sure? Natatandaan mo ba talaga itsura nun?"

"Oo naman!" Batchi indignantly replied. She remembered the perfect jawline, the expressive eyes, the cute nose, and the pink lips.

And that blasted red hair.

"I thought this plan will work," The tall girl said—seemingly thinking out loud—as she swivel in her chair while simultaneously tapping the armchair absentmindedly. "The way you describe her, it's either anak mayaman 'yan or a pretty girl who sidelines as a model of some sort."

"Ang judgmental mo naman. Malay mo kung none of the above pala?"

Cathleen rolled her eyes as she continues to play with her father's office chair. "Kung accurate description mo then I know the type. She can be a performer din. Or even a barista," she added. "But most of those girls model part-time anyways."

"I really thought we'll find her," the tall girl added wistfully, obviously disappointed that her 'grand scheme of the century' didn't work.

Batchi is disappointed, too. But she's more worried now because only one thing could cheer Cathleen up.

"Tara inom na lang!"

Drinking. Partying. Wreaking havoc to clubs that even the police, the fire department, and the NBI somehow got involved.

"No thanks," Batchi replied with a slight wince as visions of the very eventful New Year's eve of 2014 flashed before her eyes. "Uwi na lang ako."

"Hoy! I interviewed thirty girls for you. The least you can do is get wasted with me."

The short-haired girl cussed under her breath because she can't argue with that logic: Cathleen just used her father's company resources just to help her, so the least she can do is to let the girl coerce her into getting wasted.

Besides, what could possibly go wrong?

----------

Everything is wrong, Batchi muttered to herself as she burn holes at the back of Cathleen's head. Cathleen who, for reasons known only to herself, started doing body-shots with the bouncer and the bouncer's girlfriend.

Taking a sip of her beer, the short-haired girl looked around the club and observed the sweaty bodies trashing on the colorfully-lit dance floor and under the similar, almost dizzying lights from virtually everywhere. She saw two girls twerking their hearts out while the people around them cheer them on—whether the cheering is sincere or a mockery is up for debate, though.

Her eyes, a bit strained from seeing too much lights and awkward dances, surveyed her surroundings more. Her eyes caught sight of the bartender—who has her back on her direction—and absentmindedly noticed that the bartender's ponytailed hair could be reddish under a good light.

Not now, she reprimanded herself as he saw one guy shouting his order to the bartender. I'm here to unwind at bantayan si Cathleen, she mused, briefly wondering what's happening to the tall girl now. She turned her head in the other direction and rolled her eyes at what she saw: Cathleen is busy making out with the bouncer's girlfriend while the guy is just standing there watching in awe.

Typical Cathleen.

Chuckling to herself, Batchi just let the other girl be: It's not a proper party if you won't regret doing at least three things after you sober up.