Chapter 14

14.

[Lexi's POV]

I woke up because of the door cracking. I looked up seeing my dad's head just around the door mimicking it was time to get up and leave. I nodded and he closed the door and walked downstairs. The night before Niall and I had been emotional and saying just a few important things. I'd promised to wake him up but to be honest I couldn't do that, I couldn't have another emotional breakdown with him. I slowly pulled his hand of my waste and silently stepped out of bed. I looked at him moving around but he luckily didn't wake up. I grabbed my jacket from the chair since we'd fallen asleep in our clothes and walked towards the door. I grabbed the handle and looked back one more time. 

'Goodbye Niall, I'll miss you.' I whispered. Tears formed in my eyes as I slowly opened the door, looked back one last time at Niall peacefully sleeping and I walked out and closed the door behind me. When it was closed I put my back against it and let out a deep sigh, trying to hold back the tears. This was just so hard to do, but I had my reasons and I believed it was the best thing to do. I walked downstairs finding my dad already at the door with my suitcases. I looked into the kitchen and Maura, Greg & Chris were all there, ready to say goodbye. I hugged all of them tightly and thanked them for everything they'd done for me. While I was saying goodbye to everyone dad was putting our bags in the back of our cab. 

'Where's Niall?' Greg suddenly asked. 

'We already said goodbye.' I said, though I knew it wasn't true, I just didn't want the confrontation again. 

'Ok.' he shrugged and we all walked to the cab waiting outside. I all gave them a quick hug and said goodbye once again and got into the cab. The ride to the airport was quiet, neither me or my dad said a word. I just looked outside, taking everything in one last time. We arrived at the airport, checked in, boarded our plan an took of, back to America. As I looked out the window, seeing is leave Ireland, tears slowly started falling down my face. My dad grabbed my hand for the first time since we'd left and said:

'You can't start the next chapter if you keep re-reading the last one..' I just knodded. I'd never heard him say something this inspirational, but he was right, I had to let go of this part of my life and start with the next part.  

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

A month went by and I was sitting in the park with my guitar, looking out on the stream going through it. Playing guitar like Niall tought me still helped me get through things. I looked up at the sky as night was falling in and thought if Niall would do the same. When I got back I'd bought a guitar right away and every night I'd go out to this spot to play and think about things which really helped. 

The past month had been really tough but I finally started to be at peace with it all. When I got back my old mates were very happy, asked about how I was and my Ireland trip and then we just went back to normal. Niall had been trying to call me but I never picked up. I couldn't bare to talk to him but I realized I had some explaining to do. I did however talk to Maura & Chris through a weekly email and I almost had daily contact with Greg whom now helped me deal with being back home. He knew all about what Niall had said and how I felt and he reassured me he understood and that made me feel slghtly better. But Niall, Niall was feeling alone, not socializing much, focusing on his music and trying to reach me over and over. As I was thinking about my last conversation with Greg about him I decided I had to do something and I had to do it now so I decided to write Niall a letter and let Greg give it to him. I grabbed a pen and paper from my bag and started writing, it was time for me to close this chapter with him.