26. We Need To Be Diplomatic

"We're almost there? What do you mean, 'We're almost there?'" Heather asked in mild disbelief. 

          "I mean that if you look out the window, you can see the sign for your family's farm. And don't ask how I know your last name. Just go with it," August explained, proceeding to run out of the room. Heather looked out the window. Sure enough, The familiar sign that Heather and her dad had put up a few years ago was right there. That meant there was only about a mile or two before they reached the house. 

          A minute or two later, Heather could see the home that she had grown up in. Strangely, though, it looked slightly different, like there was some subliminal detail that she hadn't noticed before. Suddenly, the train dipped. August must have been bringing it in for a landing. With a loud thud, the train landed, car by car, onto the long gravel driveway that led to the house.

          The six Destined exited the train, each taking a moment to gaze at the beautiful pasture around them. Heather felt glad that her family had learned to manage without her powers. The crops looked as great as ever--Heather wondered how they had been restored, considering they all died about a week ago. August activated his suit. "Uh...That won't be necessary. They're my family, I'm certain that they won't attack us," Heather told him.

          "Just because it isn't necessary doesn't mean it isn't cool, señorita," August said in response. The six proceeded to walk up the driveway and to the house.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          Little Archie Morrison had been told by his dad not to open the door for anyone but family. When he heard the doorbell ring, he looked out the window next to the front door. Standing out on the front porch was his big sister--Archie thought she had died! How was she here?--followed by six other people. One male was tall and slender, with shaggy black hair and many pimples. That one looked a bit nervous, casting glances at Heather. Next to him was a muscular-looking young man with shaggy brown hair and skin with a texture like a rock. 

          There was a confident-looking girl in a helmet-less crimson suit of armor, with skin like coffee beans and dark brown curls. Next to her, a girl with fair skin and shining silver hair, as well as a hard, noble face. Aside from them, there was a strange human-like creature with pure black skin and a smooth, featureless face, along with a bronze Iron Man. Almost every one of these people had a different sharp thing attached to their belt or back.

          Archie, overall, was unsure about answering the door.

          Heather saw him in the window and gestured wildly at the door, making opening motions. Archie would have opened the door, but the various sharp things were really unnerving for a little boy like him. Heather, seeing his uncertainty, lifted the doormat on the porch and sifted around the ground. She picked up a key, then put it into the keyhole. With a click, the front door opened. 

          "Don't kill me! I'm just a kid!" Archie cried out as the seven people stepped into the house. Heather was about to say something before the bronze Iron Man said, "Are we killing him? Did we discuss this?" Archie was frightened until Heather hit the bronze Iron Man in the face. Though the metal man was armored, he fell over, seemingly unconscious.

          "Don't worry, Archie. These are my--" Heather pursed her lips as she looked over the other people. "--colleagues," she finished. The pure black person-thing looked mildly offended. "Hey, are Mom and Dad home?" Heather asked Archie as he heard someone run down the stairs. Dad ran into the room.

          "What is--wha-what?" Dad spluttered. He seemed more surprised about the person-thing than he did about Heather. "Alright. I suppose Flora took you to the Rose Palace, and this is the rest of the team, but...a shadow person?" he asked in disbelief. The shadow person looked even more offended. Heather opened her mouth to explain, but the bronze Iron Man cut her off again, rising to his feet and pointing a gun at Dad.

          "Show us to the pylon!" he said before Heather hit him again, yielding the same results. "Stop it, August, we need to be diplomatic," she scolded uselessly at August's unconscious body. "So, er, hi, Dad," Heather tried.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          Heather finally explained everything that had happened in the past twenty-five chapters to her dad, even Marionette. Archie appeared to be interested, too, but he mostly just stared at Marionette, sometimes reaching out a hand to feel his pure black skin. Dad, Destined that he is, took everything she said like a champ. He frowned a bit at certain parts, but that was the highest extent of his disapproval. 

          "Alright, but I have one question," Dad started after she was done. "What's with the yoga getup?" Heather put her face in her hands, letting out a sigh. "Later, Dad. I have a question for you, though, which is slightly more important than my clothing. I know you're a Destined. What element are you master of?" she asked him. Dad nodded. "I think you already know, don't you?" he answered. "The air."

          "Mr. Morrison, sir, we need one thing. We have been led to believe you are in the possession of a pylon that we need to destroy. Will you be able to lead us to it?" Jeremiah asked Heather's dad. Dad nodded. "Of course, it's right out back."

          Dad led Heather and the others to a structure covered with a tarp. Heather was surprised she hadn't seen it before. "This here is the pylon," he told them. Dad pulled the tarp off of it, revealing the pylon. 

          The pylon was a golden brazier covered in strange design, with a crystal in the center. once it was uncovered, a large white beam shot from the crystal, making a loud woosh sound.

          Absolutely nothing else happened.