Part 6

After the youth drill one morning, Walter followed the robots Nyborg always sent to escort him. He expected to meet the familiar glare of the overhead lights, the two chairs in the center of the classroom for himself and Nyborg, the vague figures of the students.

However, the lights were dimmed, and the floor clear. Nyborg waited, with several troopers and robots at his side.

The unseen audience was clearly visible. About a dozen men and women in crisp and studious looking uniforms were seated in a forum along the walls.

What surprised Walter was the presence of three officers he'd never seen before. They stood next to Nyborg, dour in their long black overcoats and smartly-brimmed hats. All watched Walter as he entered with stern expressions, hands behind their backs in formal resting stance.

One of the troopers beside Nyborg stomped, saluted, and gave the usual announcement. "All at attention. Victory to the Kaezer!"

He was answered by a unanimous cry as everyone stood, saluted, and shouted the reply.

Walter yelled it too, his right arm extended as high and enthusiastic as he could make it appear.

Nyborg beckoned. "Come, Walter. We have important guests today, here to examine you."

He approached the assembled officers, and met them with another rigid salute, trying to keep his expression fierce and attentive.

"Greetings, Hir Marlow," said the most decorated officer of the trio. "I am Commander Udensnacht. This is Hir Ostenskof, and Hir Berghans. You may be at ease, young man. We have heard so many wonderful things about you."

Walter relaxed, but kept his head and shoulders high, as was proper. "I'm honored to be at your service, sirs."

"Very good." The commander turned to Nyborg. "This is the one you say has shown the most progress under your innovative system, Hir Nyborg?"

For a brief instant, Walter caught a flash of nervousness in Nyborg's stare, a small shift in the man's slim, condescending posture. He was obviously under the scrutiny of officers far superior to himself.

"Yes, Commander. Hir Marlow is my best student. He has improved much, since he was taken from the battlefield. Far beyond the expectations of my work."

So, he was now a student, and no longer a test subject? Nyborg seemed to have elevated Walter to a more dignified status at that moment. He was confused, but remained at indifferent attention.

Commander Udensnacht raised his dark brows. His eyes were a pallid blue, precise as the tip of an icicle. "We have heard much praise of you, and your groundbreaking achievements in taming the wildest of minds to more civilized estates, Hir Nyborg."

"Thank you, Commander."

"However, the council has sent me to personally observe, and determine the effectiveness of these so-called gentler practices of yours. If you have no objection, I would like to interrogate young Hir Marlow more intimately."

"Of course, sir," Nyborg said.

"Hir Marlow. We are to understand, that you were a soldier of the resistance, before you were brought into our care. Is this so?"

"Yes, sir." Walter's heart thumped with anxiety.

"And what was your rank and duty before you were rescued from that barbaric predicament?"

He paused, trying to be cautious, and yet not appear to be withholding. "I'm too young to have held any kind of rank. I took part in the riots. And I was an active combatant in the battle from which I was apprehended."