Chapter 31: Nightingale

Start from the beginning

"He's not my boyfriend Genevieve. Quit it, and give me back my book before I lose it. You grabbed it at a cliff-hanger."

"When I convinced you to go you can have it back Carter. Now allow me to continue my reasons please." She clears her throat, preparing for a debate like Olivia Benson on the stand to win her case on a new episode of Law and Order.

"When I wanted to introduce you to Netflix and new things on the site, what did you have?"

"I don't know how this is relevant to the conversat- Ouch!" I finch in pain, placing both hands on the top of my head that she just smashed with the hard cover of my stolen book. "Lana woman! What was that for?"

"Answer the question, and don't smart mouth me again."

"You're hanging with Mrs. Jazz too much I swear, even you're trying to give me a concussion. Violent psychos." I grumble, only to get another whack on my throbbing cranium. "OW! Eve!"

"That wasn't an answer."

"Genevieve-"

"Eh. Wrong. Try again." She mocks in the worst impression of my voice ever. I do not sound like a non-serious character from a teenage series. Please. "When I wanted to introduce you to Netflix and new things, what did you have?"

I glared at her with a blank expression, only to get a raised brow as she glanced to the book in her hands as if to say 'I will use this. Try me pal.'

I sigh in rout. "Fun. I guess."

"When I convinced you to go with me to the Halloween Ball what did you have?" She asked, making the confusion evident in my features.

"Are you seriously asking me th- Eve put it down!" I raised my hands in defeat the moment her hands twitched to attack. "Fun alright! I had fun."

"Good." Eve nods in satisfaction, lowering her tone a bit. "Last week. December twenty-fifth. Since my family doesn't celebrate Christmas, I spent it with you from morning until the following day. What did we have?"

I glanced at her, turning the corner of my lips in a grin as she started to smile a little at the knowing indication. I thought back to how we pretty much binge watched so many idiocy we could find, and entertained ourselves with childish holiday movies- that I've completely forgotten about- like a bunch of kids. We even went as far as trying to make cookies- on Eve's request- which ended up in a total disaster of black rocks that I'm sure would break our teeth if bitten on. I've never laughed until milk came out of my nose before, but that's exactly what happened, and may I say, it's hilarious, but undeniably disgusting.

"Alright..." I muttered letting out an understanding chuckle as she gave a triumphant grin at the gesture. "I get it Eve."

I may not have gotten the family dinner, bright lights and warmth that I had years ago, but... wow did it feel good to just not be on my own on the twenty-fifth. I won't admit it to her, but she's right. She's still psychotic with the way she does things like this, but she means well. I mean, trying to get me out there more instead of being locked away like this. She just wants me happier, and I understand that.

"Doesn't mean I'll go though." I state, quickly taking the book out of Genevieve's palms in that moment of opportunity as the hope practically shatters in her eyes, leaving her blinking to process the failed attempt.

"Y-You- Are you kidding me?" She huffs in disbelief as I flip to the page where I left off. "Carter what the hell! Did you not hear my emotional, Oscar worthy, heart filled speech?"

"Heard. Felt. Still not even debating here. Call Amira and let her go with you to keep company. You'll be a lot more comfortable with her than me anyway. Am I right?"