Prologue

My name is Kara Zor-El. 24 years ago, my planet, Krypton, was in serious peril.
My cousin, Kal-El, was sent to a planet called Earth for his own safety and protection. You may know his story. The story you don't know is that I was sent to protect him. I was 13 at the time, and could teach him about our home planet, and help him grow up on a new planet.
His pod left a few minutes before mine. But my parents insisted on saying their proper farewells to me.
"Your pod's coordinates are interlocked with Kal-El's. You will follow him to Earth." My father, Zor-El, reminded me.
"I'm not afraid, father." I reassured him, lying outright.
My mother gently grabbed my shoulders, "The trip is long. But you'll sleep most of the way, and we will be with you in your dreams. You'll journey to Earth to look after your baby cousin Kal-El."
Krypton has special AI technology that can enter minds, giving knowledge directly to the brain. The AI can take on the form of people, and is cultivated from living memory. It can also take on the form of holograms. While my parents wouldn't be actually there, the AI would teach me everything I needed to know about Earth. And remind me of life on Krypton.
"Because of the Earth's yellow sun, you will have great powers on this planet." Alura Zor-El continued, "You will do extraordinary things."
"I won't fail Kal-El, or you." I said, my voice beginning to tremble.
My mother kissed my forehead, "I love you, Kara."
An explosion echoed around us, and my mother's voice became urgent, "You must go, now!"
I made my way to the pod, but turned back and launched myself into my mother's arms, tears streaming down my face, finally realizing this would be the last time I'd see her.
Another, quieter explosion sounded, shaking the ground around us. The pod shook violently, while chunks of the ceiling cascaded down.
"Go!" My mother said, her voice thick with emotion, and I boarded the pod.
My pod zipped out of Krypton's atmosphere, and a bright light followed me.
Things didn't go exactly according to my mother's plan.
Krypton's destruction sent a shock wave that knocked my pod off course and into the Phantom Zone; a region in space where time doesn't pass. I slept there for 24 years until somehow I got here.
When I finally arrived, I was still a 13 year old girl. But in that same time, my cousin, Kal-El, had grown up and revealed himself to your world as Superman, the most powerful man in the universe.
My cousin wanted me to have the same safe, human-type childhood he did, so he placed me with my adoptive family, the Olsens, who had helped him with his own super-abilities. Ms. Olsen had a son, James Olsen. And despite being born on different planets, we both shared one thing. We knew our lives would never be the same again.
My cousin... He didn't need my protection. I didn't have a mission anymore. And even though I had all the same powers he did, I decided the best thing I could do was fit in. After all, Earth didn't need another hero.
I work at CatCo World Wide Media, an online and print empire built by my boss Cat Grant, the most powerful woman in National City. At least, for the next few days.