Chapter 2

"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends."

J. K. Rowling
__________________________

Lyra was fuming with rage. She got up and headed for the door.

"Lyra..." Adele began to say as she tried to follow her.

Cecil quickly grabbed Adele and sat her back down.

"It's fine. She can handle herself." He whispered and stared at Lyra as she slammed the door behind her not even glancing back. The slam had woken up the young elf in the back who now joined Adele and Cecil in looking out the window.

With a clenched hand, Lyra unsheathed her sword, which was a pure silver one-handed sword. She put one arm behind her back and held the sword in front of her.

As the dark elves eyes landed on her he sighed in disappointment.

"Thank goodness!" He said sarcastically, "I thought someone worthy enough was challenging me! But no, it's just a female elf who doesn't know her place." He peered at her features. "Doll-face, are you perhaps a ghost elf?"

Lyra remains silent with her poise ready.

"I'll take that as a yes. That species barely ever leaves the Mountains of Beorii and are extremely skilled.. or so they say." He holds his sword up, "I guess this might be interesting after all."

He steps forward and they both rush towards each other, crossing blades. She swung at his right side but he flipped in the air over it. He threw his foot out towards her but she stopped it with her sword, pushing him back. They ran towards each other once more.

"Your footing is rather splendid as is your stance. I feel as though I have meet you before today." He called as he got close and narrowed his eyes challengingly.

Lyra's eyes flared. "I have no obligation to discuss anything with you." She snarled.

They crossed blades again. He tried to push her back but she stood her ground. A sharp pain rushed through her as he used his free hand to stab her with a dagger. He grinned in false victory. Lyra kicked him hard in his shin and he made an opening as he grimaced.

She brought her sword quickly forward and stabbed him in his side. As he fell to the ground, clutching his wound, she flung his sword away.

"At least I don't use cheap shots. You mongrel." She spat.

She grabbed the hilt of the dagger and pulled it out of her skin. She sheathed her sword and put the dagger in an empty pocket. Holding her wound, she raced out of town ignoring Adele's and Cecil's calls.

*

Lyra finally sat down on a cliff that overlooked the vast land. She swung her legs over the cliff and looked down. Below her was the arena that held elves as they watched another sword fight.

Most likely Prince Dûrions fight. She thought.

On the right of the arena was Ashlok. Lyra observed the dark elf being arrested and watched as Adele and Cecil rush out of town. She was able to see the rolling hills and the castles image reflected in the lake. On the left of the arena was a wide stretch of untamed forest.

"That looks like a nasty wound."

Lyra looked behind her. The bushes rustled as an elf stepped out. The elf was dressed in dark purple clothing. It was elegantly tailored with some silver patterns emphasized in it. His black boots came up right below his knees and a sword was in a sheath hanging at his side. His black hair was swept to one side and his deep dark blue eyes peered at Lyra.