Chapter Six

Comment, Vote, Share
_____

Clinking glasses, sounds of knives and forks against vintage china plates. Cacophony and laughter were heard throughout the ballroom, accompanied by silent but melodic song, performed by a jazz band. I glanced around, and took a sip, from my glass of white wine. I was put at a table with people I had never seen, with the exception of my mother. Momma Tyra talked my ear off, while I eagerly searched with eyes, for Mr. Big Hands.

Eventually, my mother's phone began to ring, and she was forced to go outside, so she could continue her conversation.

When I was about to stuff a spoon of black beans in my mouth, there was a light tap on my left shoulder. I turned, and instantly frowned at the person in front of me.

"Who the hell invited you?" I said through gritted teeth.

There he stood, with his perfectly styled blond hair and always so welcoming smile. I was ready to throw up all over the place.

Before you could judge, his name was Mitch Gardner. My ex-fiancé. He had a well-known reputation in the state of New York, as mama's boy. He tricked young girls with cliché attitude, in an attempt to make them fall in love with him. Just to get his hands on the money of their wealthy daddies.

Unfortunately, a month ago it appeared that my case was no different from those of many other naïve dolls.

"Liam invited me. He joined the polo club two weeks ago," he said and smiled, showing his pearly white teeth.

I wiped my mouth with a napkin and stood from my chair. "I can't wait for Veronica to hear who's befriending with her hubby."

Before I could pass around him, he grabbed my hand and turned me, so I was facing him. "Don't you dare disrespect me like that, ever again," he said harshly, making me shiver. I thought he was going to hit me any moment.

"I really feel sorry for your mother, Mitch. The poor woman, even twenty-five years after giving birth to you, she still can't understand what a piece of crap she raised. " I yanked my hand back and stepped away from him.

His face was getting redder and redder, but he froze when he saw Veronica standing up from her seat. She said something to the lead jazz singer, and he handed her over a microphone.

"Dear friends, relatives, colleagues, and guests, I would like to thank all of you for being with us tonight. This day is very special for me and Liam because today is the day on which we decided to prove our love to each other, and to all of you," Veronica said and intertwined her fingers with his.

A loud applause followed, and cheering from Liam's friends. "There's a person in this room who always managed and manages to make me feel loved, long before I met Liam," the guests erupted in laughter and looked around. "I would like for you, to say a few words. Ophelia, come here. "

My eyes widened. The speech!

I nervously licked my lips and looked up at Mitch, who was now smirking the hell out of his face. I had forgotten to write it, and Veronica begged me a month ago. "I am the worst best friend ever," I thought and grabbed my glass of wine.

I approached Veronica, who quizzically gestured to my empty hands. But I nodded my head reassuringly, and pointed my finger to my brain as if to show my best friend, that I had already memorized the speech.

I climbed the short flight of stairs in front of the stage and coughed. Grabbed the mic and coughed one more time. "Most of you know, that I know Veronica for more than fifteen years. We've been through moments of pain, successes, ups and downs," I stopped and looked straightforward at Mr. Big Hands, who was already looking at me. He raised a glass of whiskey to his full lips and furrowed his brows. His eyes glistening under the purple light that was getting dimmed by cigars and cigarettes.

"And today, I look at you, Veronica. And the only thing I am seeing in your eyes...
is pure happiness." I then raised my own glass and sipped from it.

"Back when we were in high school, I remember Veronica being obsessed with art. She would force me to sneak out with her from class, only to go to a local exhibit. And now look at us... I am the one working in an art museum, and you work at an office," I said, and some people, including Mr. Big Hands, chuckled. "We've grown so much, that it's both strange and delightful, seeing you dressed in white, with a strong and loving man like Liam, by your side," I said, tears starting to blur my vision.

"Marriage is not just an auspicious bond. It is a journey that lasts until the end of eternity. This momentous occasion marks the start of your life together. As we witness two hearts unite as one, we pray your unity will always remain strong by letting the chords of love that bind you to strengthen over time." I raised my glass, indicating the others should do the same.

"Here's to wishing that the both of you will have a memorable and joyful ride," I said and drunk in one gulp my glass.