Chapter 4: First Date ✔

Start from the beginning

      "Sure, Olivia, come on in," I said, quickly snatching the Darth Vader mask out of my head.

     "Aunty Riley, what are you doing?" Olivia tilted her head when she saw the lightsaber and the Koala stuffy bear, hanging from the ceiling.

The koala represented Andrew. He was surely cute, but still I wanted to hang him!

    "Oh, nothing! What's wrong? You had a nightmare?" I tried to make her focus on me, not on my messy bedroom.

    She crept into bed in her pink pajamas and matching bow. "No, Aunty Riley. I was wondering when Mommy will come back. Will she be here tomorrow?"

     "Don't you worry, Olivia. She will be here and that's all that you need to know."

    With that answer, she was satisfied and went straightly to sleep when her little head felt the Transformers pillow. I tucked her in and lounged next to her, admiring her maturity.

    How this little girl can be so wit and gorgeous? Ah, of course, because she's a Benjamin! The beauty from her mother and the brain from me.

    Before I could continue with my struggle, my eyes felt heavy and for that, I closed them, falling asleep next to Olivia.

 The alarm clock chimed at nine in the morning and I got up as quickly as I could. I took a quick shower and woke Olivia up.

The best thing about her is that you don't have to pamper her with things, she's too independent for a five year old, which scares the crap out of me. I can ask to do her hair, and when I get the comb, she already did it on her own. The child doesn't even let me to touch her! She can bath alone, brush her teeth, clean, dress, oh, but she can't cook! Neither can I.  Only Alexis cooks in this household and lately, I order pizza or take out. And you can guess who calls and orders... Yes, Olivia! Is it a blessing or the girl from Poltergeist, you ask? Well, I can't really tell. All I can say is that I try to avoid any movie night and stuff that require a TV, you can imagine my reasons.

     Another freaky thing about Olivia, take note, she likes to read. Rectification: she loves to read! The tot read all the Dr. Seuss freaking collection!  She read everything that rhymed and every tale that the Brothers Grimm made, all crude and real. She hated Disney and preferred, "the cruel reality that makes Romeo and Juliet be so loved between mere mortals", which are her own words, not mine.

     Heck, I know who Romeo and Juliet are, thanks to her. I thought Romeo was the rapper and it was his original name. Maybe you are wondering how she knows all this. Precisely, because Alexis works at the local library and well, Olivia should be named Matilda, that's all I'm saying.

      "Auntie Riley, are we going to read The Hiding Place?" Olivia asked while she looked at her cereal bowl.

    I poured the milk on top of the corn flakes while she whirled her spoon and waited. "Olivia, don't you think it's too much for you to read?"I asked her, already giving her the answer.

She borrowed the book from the library when Alexis took her to work, and since then, I always voted for no. That was Corrie ten Boom's biography and her struggle in the Nazi Holocaust.

I will hate to let my little niece be exposed to something so cruel and real, at her five to six years of age. I truly think she is too advanced for her age, truly.

       "But—" she started to whine, however, I interjected her complain.

      "No but's, when you are old enough you are going to read that."