Pie's family was living in that village until she was fourteen years old. Growing up as an only child, Pie's favorite leisure is to play with her cousin, Meena, who happens to be an only child as well. They were very close to the point that they share everything. They play with the same toys, wear the same dresses, they have the same lunchbox, and they even went to the same school. Meena is like a sister and a best friend to her.

Just a few blocks from their house is a family friend with two sons whose ages are almost the same with her and Meena. The brothers are Golf and Mike. Golf is the older one and the jolly type while Mike is the opposite. They used to play with each other when they were younger. But as they grew up they only see each other on family events or occasions.

Being a child, Pie had developed a major crush on Mike since the day she can't remember. And since it's their families' tradition to have lunch altogether every New Year's Eve, that affection somehow remained even after she moved out from that place. She can't remember when exactly she got over her feelings for Mike. Maybe it went away when she entered college and got busy with school stuff. Plus, Mike's entire family moved out from that village too because his dad was reassigned to a different location.

"Yeah, Golf and Mike, remember?" asked Meena.

"Y-yeah." Pie looked away. She didn't know how to handle the rush of nostalgia in her chest. "When did they get back here?"

"Just last week. I heard their dad wants to retire and is planning on putting up a business. Both their sons are now working so they've got nothing much to worry about finances."

Pie is a bit confused with what she's feeling. A while ago she was thinking about Kim and now hearing Mike's name gave her the same feeling of what she's having before. Then she remembered something they usually do that day.

"Wait, don't tell me they're joining us for lunch?"

Meena's eyes crinkled. "Yes. They are waiting for us downstairs. I came here because your mom asked me to drag you down."

Pie's eyes widened.

Oh, no.

---

Meena went down first after Pie confirmed that she's about to go down too. The truth is she's not prepared. Thinking about Mike's presence in the same house made her fidgety. It went worse when she's by the stairs and is now hearing murmurs from men whose voices she hasn't heard in a long time.

She took a deep breath and few more steps down until she saw everyone.

"Oh, there you are, Pie," her mom called right away, putting an arm on her shoulder and leading her to the couch where the members of the old family friend are sitting. "Look who's back."

Pie glanced at the entire family but focused her eyes on the parents. She's seeing the brothers from her peripheral vision. "Good morning everyone," she said with a wai.

"Wow, is that really you, Pie? You've grown so beautiful, darling," the mother said. "You used to be pretty when you're little but now you're just more beautiful."

Pie forced a smile because she was too shy. "Thank you."

"Do you have a boyfriend, Pie?" the father asked this time.

Her mom answered on her behalf, "None. Pie has always been choosy in dating men. How about yours, are your sons still singles?"

Oh, mom, please don't do that.

Pie wanted to exit the scene right away. She knows where the conversation is heading. Her mom is completely aware of her crush on Mike before.

"Golf is always not available. He's never been single the moment I allowed him to date," the father answered right away.