Chapter 7

Luke was panicking. His palms were sweaty, eyes unable to focus. The sight unfolding before him was impossible to accept and he felt as though someone had their hands in his chest, slowly but surely tearing his heart in two.

The guards had taken a step back, staring almost expectantly at the still boy, lying on the hard floor. Then Michael's hand began to twitch, and the doctor smirked. "Ah there we go, just what we wanted."

"What did you do to him?" Luke whispered, determined to keep his breathing steady and not make his pain apparent.

"Let's just say, Michael isn't exactly Michael anymore."

Just as Luke began to press the man with further questions, prompting him to explain his previous statement, the doctor clapped twice and the sound boomed in the small space they occupied.

Michael's eyes snapped open and he climbed to his feet, limbs functioning like mechanics. But there was something different about him, his body was stiff and his stare was dangerous.

Luke's eyes locked with Michael's and the blond shivered without a trigger, suddenly feeling the cold air on his clammy skin and wind in his bones. It was like that night all over again, Michael had been there. The cold look in his eyes was all too familiar.

"No," Luke muttered, "no it can't be."

The doctor seemed pleased at this reaction, looking down at Luke who sat holding his knees to his chest in an attempt to ease his pain. "It's amazing what a person can do when you force them to. Like to get rid of someone who is no longer considered useful."

"It's been a year since I escaped this hell hole doc, why now?"

"Luke Luke Luke what will I do with you," the doctor chuckled, "you never truly escaped. I've been tracking you the entire time."

The blond gulped, clutching at his stomach a little tighter and taking a deep breath. "But you let me walk free, why?"

"In case I needed you again. Michael here has been of great assistance in recent months, our experimenting allowed us to perfect the formula and take full control of a person both physically and mentally. He fit the role that you once had and therefore you were no longer required, so killing you was the final test to confirm that our experimenting had been successful."

Luke shook his head, unable to comprehend what he was being told. It couldn't be right, Michael couldn't have done that. He had been so close to death, yet had somehow made it out alive. "Then why aren't I dead?"

"You should be, had our calculations been accurate." The man looked disappointed. "But the shot began to wear off too early, and our control over Michael faded. The knife did its damage, but the boy managed to fight against us and stop it going in too far, therefore preventing it from killing you."

"Why not finish what you started? Why save my life when you could have left me to die whilst avoiding suspicion?"

The same harshness Luke had grown to recognise as a bad omen filled the doctors eyes. "Because we need you after all, you'll understand soon."

Luke tried not to show his fear, the situation wasn't something he didn't know how to handle. He'd been in a similar position several times before and he understood the doctors thought processes more than he cared to admit, the way he saw things. All he had to do was remain calm, and use the mans sudden willingness to talk to his advantage. "What about Michael? "What's this 'job' that you mentioned earlier?"

"A certain," he paused, considering what to say, "former colleague of mine has some explaining to do having double crossed me. But I don't like listening to people, so Michael is going to put the dog out of his misery."

Luke could feel the anger rising up inside of him, no matter how hard he tried to resist it. "You're getting an innocent boy who has no idea what he's doing to kill people? To kill me and now another? He shouldn't even be involved. You can't get him to do your dirty work all the time, you saw how terrified he was!"

The blond found himself yelling, but when he tried to move forward and reach for the lilac haired boy, the sharp pain returned and he cried out.

"Oh dear," the doctor tutted, "looks like someone ripped out their stitches."

Luke fell onto his side and his hand slipped from covering the wound, alerting the doctor to just what damage had been done. The man clicked his fingers and Michael's shoes scratched across the floor, reaching down and scooping the blond up into his arms.

He might have tried to fight, had he not been too weak to do so or scared he might hurt Michael. Luke's shirt was soaked through with blood and beads of sweat clung to his skin, symptoms that were anything but good news for him.

Luke looked up at Michael and was convinced he saw something in his eyes, that Michael was still inside and fighting, and that would be enough reassurance for a while.

The metal bars opened and Michael followed the doctor and three guards out, making their way through the corridors but Luke too distracted to pay attention to where they were going. The journey was silent, the only sound being the blonds deep, staggered breaths.

Luke temporarily lost consciousness, shortly regaining it once himself, Michael and the doctor were alone in a room. He recognised it immediately, the same one he had woken up in a little over two weeks ago.

Michael laid his fragile body down on the slab of metal, the doctor adjusting the straps and fastening him down. Not that Luke could have tried to escape anyway.

"Let's get you cleaned up, shall we?" The doctor raised his eyebrows, ignoring Luke's groans of protest. A sudden beeping sound filled the room, emitting from the heart monitor beside them but far too quick for the rate to be regular or healthy.

The man looked down at Luke whose head had rolled to the side, about half aware of his surroundings. He wasn't prepared to let Luke die after all the effort he had put in, but he also knew that keeping him alive may not be as easy as it had once seemed. The blond wasn't in a good way, that was for sure.

Luke opened his eyes for a brief moment, looking to Michael who stood by the door. Upon registering the attention, the boy turned around and left the room, Luke knowing that he would never forget the image of the knife securely in his back pocket.

The blond tried to push it to the back of his mind but was unsuccessful, and the last thing on his mind before he passed out was Michael's laughter as a lifeless man crumbled to the floor.

~~~~~~~

A/n: what am I even doing with my life lmao

Are you guys liking this or not? I'm not getting any feedback and normally I'm not bothered by that but I'm losing readers and I feel like I'm doing something wrong :/

Anyway thank you!!! xx