Chapter 2

Luke had never been more exhausted in his entire life. His energy was just disappearing and his eyes burned when they remained open, but there was something keeping him from falling asleep.

The small window on the wall above the bed was directly in his line of sight, the moon shining down and illuminating the darkness. The sky was cloudless, which Luke had never been so grateful for because it provided him with a natural light.

A guard had been in an hour or so ago, but he couldn't have been sure as there was no way of telling time. The man had slid a tray under the bars, glaring at Luke before locking up and leaving for the night. The blond had stayed in his position against the wall, feeling uneasy at the sight of the two old bowls containing food he wasn't sure was edible.

Michael had been asleep, he had clambered into the bed silently and curled up in the thin sheets not long before. Luke wasn't sure whether he should've woken him, but decided against it as the poor boy probably just wanted to rest.

He knew that he should be thinking about joining him, but he didn't feel safe. He'd never felt safe, not since before.

Instead Luke crawled slowly over to the corner between the wall and the bars, fitting into the small space quite comfortably. He looked across the room where Michael was silent, looking so small and helpless. His eyes were shut and lips slightly parted, breathing steadily.

Luke frowned, sympathetic for the boy. But his emotions were no use to him, he was in the exact same position and feelings weren't going to help either of them get out.

Bored and tired, he ran his fingers along the cold wall until they hit an abnormality. Carved into the brick were tally's, hundreds of them all lined up, one for each day Michael had been there. The thought of it made him shiver slightly, what were they using him for?

Although they gave him food and clothes and a bed, they didn't exactly treat him right. The food was uncooked and past its use by date, his clothes were probably years old and unwashed and the bed was literally falling apart. It was no way for someone to live.

Luke sat slouched against the wall for perhaps a few hours, until he found himself unable to fight the starvation off for any longer. He was drained of energy both physically and mentally, and he knew he needed to rebuild his strength.

Clamping his hand over his mouth to stop himself from screaming, as the pain medication he had been given earlier that day had almost entirely worn off, he forced himself forward until he was on his hands and knees.

Luke crawled slowly towards the tray in front of the metal bars, falling against them and causing a soft rattling sound to echo around the room. He cursed and tried to stop them moving, afraid that he would wake Michael or set off an alarm, sighing when he succeeded and pulling the tray closer to himself.

On it were the two bowls he had spotted earlier, each containing a lump of green sludge. He had no idea what it was, but he assumed that it had been Michael's diet for a number of years. Luke picked up one of the forks reluctantly, digging into the food. He lifted it to his face, cringing at the unpleasant smell and taking a deep breath before putting it into his mouth.

He wasn't sure what he'd expected really. Luke certainly hadn't expected it to be good, they were prisoners after all. But he had thought it would have been much worse. He ate a few more mouthfuls but even that was a struggle, it had been a while since his last decent meal and the sudden intake of food made him feel uneasy.

Next to the two bowls, one now half empty, were two glasses of water. It wasn't clean, there was a certain dullness to it, but only then did Luke realise just how thirsty he was.

When he reached one of the glasses and lifted it to his lips, he noticed the two red pills on the tray. Luke looked into his glass of water, now aware of the words 'for the pain' written in black marker on the underside of the glass.

His eyes flickered back to the two pills. However bad his pain was and no matter how desperately he craved the relief, Luke had no idea what they were. The doctor wasn't one to be trusted, all he wanted was control. He didn't care about Luke's pain, not really.

Luke gulped down a couple of mouthfuls of water to soothe his burning throat, before placing it back down on the tray. He carefully picked up the pills, holding them in his hand for a brief moment while he decided what to do with them.

Eventually he crawled back over to where he had been sitting previously, remembering a small hole in one of the bricks. He felt around in the dark before his fingers brushed over it, very carefully placing the two red pills in the gap and pushing them in until they were out of sight but still reachable. He never knew when they might come in handy.

Once they were secure Luke finally began to feel himself falling asleep, something he had been striving for throughout the night. The bed would have been just big enough for him to join Michael in it, but he wasn't sure he could make it that far across the room without disturbing the sleeping boy.

So instead Luke curled up on the floor where he was, placing his head down on the hard ground. It was cold and uncomfortable at first, but he gradually grew used to the position and bought his knees up to his chest for warmth.

After a few minutes of lying there, still conscious, he allowed his eyes to close and his body to rest. Luke fell asleep with everything yet nothing on his mind, curious as to how that could be.

~~~~~~~

A/n: So, I know this chapter was basically Luke just crawling around but I promise it is setting up for stuff that's going to happen soon, I apologise if it was boring

So much drama is coming :o

I hope this was okay! Thanks for reading <3 x