Chapter Six: Fly You Fools

Lyra

The Fellowship runs out the chamber into a hall of pillars. The Fellowship is closely pursued by an army of Orcs. Other Orcs spring out from the floor or crawl, like spiders, from the ceiling and down the pillars. They surround the Fellowship, who have drawn our weapons outward in a circle. The Orcs snarl and leer. Gimli lets out a yell. A fiery light appears at the end of a hall followed by a thunderous rumble. The Orcs flee in all directions. Gimli laughs, thinking he has scared off the Orcs. The Fellowship are left alone. The weary wizard stares down the hall.

"What is this new devilry?" Boromir asks

Gandalf does not respond for a moment. He closes his eyes, concentrating. The rumble is heard again. Gandalf opens his eyes.

"A Balrog — a demon of the ancient world." Gandalf says

The thing growls, still hidden around a corner of the vast hall, throwing fiery light on the pillars. Legolas's eyes show fear.

"Oh Gods, not a Balrog!" I say

"This foe is beyond any of you... Run!" Gandalf says

The Fellowship runs to a small doorway. Gandalf shepherds us through.

"Quickly!" Gandalf says

He takes a last glance behind him, and follows. The Fellowship enters a passageway and goes down a flight of steps. The flight ends in a missing segment, and Boromir nearly falls but Legolas pulls him back. His torch whirls away into the vast underworld beneath.

"Gandalf!" Aragorn says

"Lead them on, Aragorn! The bridge is near!" Gandalf says

We look across a wide space to a long bridge spanning the gap between a hall and a cliff face. Away behind us, the Balrog roars again. Aragorn moves towards Gandalf, but Gandalf pushes Aragorn roughly away from him.

"Do as I say!" Gandalf orders

Hurt and confusion register on Aragorn's face.

"Swords are no more use here!" Gandalf says

The Balrog roars again. The Fellowship descend a flight of massive stairs. The Fellowship encounters a gap in the stairs. Legolas leaps and lands on the other side. The Balrog rumbles again. Foundations splinter and crumble, sending huge rocks tumbling into the depths.

"Gandalf." Legolas calls

Gandalf leaps after him.

Arrows whistle into the air from a far ledge, striking the stone steps. Legolas shoots back. His arrow rises through the air and pierces the skull of an Orc. The Orc tumbles down from his ledge.

"Merry! Pippin! Hoo-aah!" Boromir says as he jumps and part of the stairs give way.

He leaps across the gap.

An exchange of arrows follow from the stairs to the ledge.

"Sam." Aragorn says

He pitches Sam to the other side where the Hobbit is caught by Boromir. I jump, Legolas catches me but stumbles because of an arrow hitting the ground by him, we fall him landing on top of me, he looks deeply into my eyes, but we are pulled back to reality as arrows wiz past us, Legolas stands and helps me up. Aragorn reaches to pick up Gimli.