Chapter One - Heads Up

Start from the beginning

The smirk that I had grown to be wary of graced his face. His blue eyes pierced into mine narrowing as they met my stare. I quickly looked away, not able to hold his stare. I wonder if his eyes will get the gleam they do when he talks to other girls. I'm a sucker for eyes, even if they are on my worst nightmare. I hear the girls talk about how his eyes turn lighter when he smiles.

“Well then take this” he smiled evilly and held his hand out for me to grab the yummy looking milkshake. I slowly reached towards it, ready to draw back if necessary but he just stood there. I went in for the kill and tried to grab it only to feel it slip through my fingers and pulled out of my reach.

“The nerd wants a milkshake” he grinned tauntingly, “then the nerd will get one.” He took the milkshake and poured it all over my glossy books.

The guys gave each other a high five and laughed rambunctiously to their classrooms. He turned back and smirked before entering the classroom.

I hate that smirk.

Realizing that the bell had rung, I bent down and picked up my stuff. It was all covered in slimy gunk. I sighed and got to work, quickly wiping the smeared milkshake. The pages were sticking together and I could feel some strawberry chunks in between my fingers. Gross. The tears slowly filled my eyes. I bit my lip as my eyes blurred, almost drawing blood.

Why does this always happen to me? Do I really deserve to be humiliated every single goddamn day?

“Ms. Alina Walters” boomed the thundering voice of my principal, Mr. Bates. “Get to class right now” I quickly wiped my tears away, smearing some milkshake all over my face.

“I was just picking up my stuff, Ryan and his grou—"

“Stop putting blame on those young men, they are good kids and you would do well to listen to them.  Since you are late, you will have detention after school. I don’t want to hear this happening again” He glared at me.

“Sorry Sir, won’t happen again” I saluted clumsily and speed walked through the halls, determined to get to class as fast as possible.

As I tip-toed into class, I noticed the teacher talking to one of the kids on the other side of the room. As quietly as possible, I made a mad dash for my seat only to trip on someone’s leg and fall flat on my back. Ow. I slowly sat up, rubbing my neck.

I saw some people purse their lips while others belted out laughing. Great, just another thing to add to "Alina's Terrible Morning Moments" right after my terrific detention.

“Ms. Walters, what do you think you are doing?”

Mrs. Golden was a nasty old lady with bad breath and terrible fashion sense. She could be sweet but this was not one of those times.

“Sorry ma'am” I mumbled. I could feel the judgmental stares boring into my back.