Chapter 38: Alive

Start from the beginning

The three of us get out of the car, and I lock the doors.

It's a pleasant autumn evening in the city of Chicago.

The sun has stopped staying out so late, so it is somewhat dark outside.

It's a comfortable temperature, but the long summer nights have certainly passed.

Natalie, Chaunette, and I make our way across the parking lot and towards the United Center.

Excited fans buzz around the building, a sea of red moving with them.

The fans are beyond ecstatic tonight, and the atmosphere is already electric.

Oh, how I've missed Chicago hockey.

The three of us enter the United Center, the concourse busy and loud.

We make our way through the busy crowds, and everyone cheers loudly, as they make their way through the concourse.

Tonight, of course, is the night that the Blackhawks will raise their 2016 Stanley Cup Champions banner.

Hawks fans are passionately awaiting the start of the new season, and it's truly amazing to watch.

"Chicago hockey is my favorite thing." Natalie laughs, as the three of us make our way to our seats in our section.

"It's do-or-die, and that is certain." Chaunette agrees, as the three of us sit down.

"Oh man, it's good to be back here." I sigh, happily, as I look out onto the ice.

It's pure heaven out there.

The zamboni has just finished its run across the ice, leaving the entire surface shiny, smooth, and stunning.

The surface reflects the bright lights of the United Center coming from the roof, and it truly is a taste of heaven.

That ice surface is legendary.

So much has happened out there, it's incredible.

The Blackhawks are playing the Red Wings tonight, as the NHL decided to kick off the season with a rivalry night.

Not a bad idea, if I do say so myself.

"So how is the married life?" Chaunette asks, bluntly.

I look over to her, smiling.

"That was blunt." I laugh, running a hand through my light brown hair that I was too lazy to curl tonight.

"Well, it just crossed my mind." Chaunette shrugs, laughing.

I sigh, happily.

The "married" life is different, that's for sure.

It doesn't seem different in your everyday life or actions, but it feels different.

Knowing that you are truly bonded to your spouse, is a scary but fascinating feeling.

"It's pretty sweet. A lot of my clients know about Patrick and I, and so many of them have congratulated me. It feels really good." I laugh, looking out at the ice.

"Oh, I bet. Pretty much all of Chicago knows about your wedding, Abby! I mean, you married Patrick Kane. He's a Chitown hero." Natalie winks.

I blush, shaking my head.

"Yeah, but to me, he's just Pat. And that's who I love him for." I say, smiling out at the ice in front of me.

With that, the three of us girls sit quietly, occasionally talking for the next half an hour or so.