chapter one

"Complicated"
~~~

Abandonment
a·ban·don·ment
əˈbandənmənt/Submit
noun
the action or fact of abandoning or being abandoned.
"she had a feeling of utter abandonment and loneliness"

Selena's POV

I wish I could see a world to spin with a mother to hum my frights to a simmer. A little girl instead of being taught to stay silent in the eye of pain, was raised to enjoy the image of herself in a mirror.

In some eyes, women are respected and are seen as elegant sways of a music. Others see women as the strong independent souls with no itch for a male or other dominant to possess or if you may, "own" them.

Those eyes have lead this world to be a chance for females to create their equality that shouldn't have to be earned for but was burned through ounces of blood, sweat and tears.

The restraint of balance in this shaken world belong to the wealth of my father and his eyes fogged by bereavement from my mother.

I founded the conclusion to the fact he never understood why she would vanish, sooner to appear more permanently than both hoped. Though I never accepted the fact my mother was dead, she always had a lively spirt that could enlighten a grime scene with the drop of a pin.

For once in my life, I was ready to move past the fact. For a while I felt stuck as if I couldn't comprehend that my life was still moving forward yet each step was written in poison.

Could this be the best decision, hell no.

But I'm done taking a step back and missing the chance to breathe, I couldn't suffocate myself waiting for my father to come home, he wasn't here and he died the same night as my mother.

Reality was a bitch, but I still got the flames in me and it's time to fight for a cause that could drive me somewhere other than the Liquor store.

"Selena?"

A smooth voice ran through the room, a calming sensation for me to hear. My gaze examines the building to carve the night sky. Stars painted to accommodate the gloom aura to roam the city.

Street lights dance flamboyant to the surroundings. Snow fell into the draft of wind, painting the rooftops in a rich taste. You could catch the crowds of people to scatter the city. Some retreat to a cab well others emerge to revamp a night.

One to arise multiple regrets, but only till the sun dawns.

I felt the inked arms snake around my waist, coiling me in warmth from his bare chest. His heated breath of cigarettes and a twist of mint, a scent to come as no surprise these days.

December has slipped in the time of an hourglass, nearing the edge as Christmas has swung in a drunken treat to be lingered in the bed sheets and by the television.

Christmas music was swayed to in our undergarments as we couldn't hold each other closer under the fairy lights.

Now the day lays in the count down to New Years, never being able to celebrates New Years together in public was a difficulty as we also hold a variety in friend groups age.