Chapter Twenty-One

WARNING: This chapter may be sensitive to some viewers. Reader's discretion is advised.

H.
The winter air was like sharp needless against my skin. My heavy breaths came out in puffs, emitting small clouds of air from my mouth.

My legs were carrying me far from home. Far from safety. Cars passed me in a hurried rush to get home for Christmas. To see their loved ones and eat a holiday meal together.

While everyone else was going home to celebrate, my head was swarming with thoughts of loneliness and self loathe. My trembling hands were stuffed in my pockets, an attempt to calm them from the anxiety coursing through my body.

I had been at my flat in Redditch alone on Christmas Eve, thinking about how tired I was. Tired of working my intern ass off at a firm and getting treated like I was some peasant. Tired of going to sleep and waking up to an empty bed.

I suppose that last one was my fault.

I was tired of living in a flat where the neighbors spent every night shouting and cursing, playing loud music at three in the bloody morning.

But most of all, I was tired of feeling like a failure. My parents expected me to do so much with myself, to already be married and have kids. I couldn't be what they wanted and they hated that.

I told myself after I broke things off with Taissa that my life would be different. I'd be someone I liked and that other people liked. I'd be someone good and worthy.

I came to a stop on a bridge in some park across town. My hands gripped the bricked ledge and I looked down into the darkness. I shut my eyes, thinking about all the people I had disappointed.

And the only thing that seemed to make any sense was that they'd all be better off without me around.

Opening my eyes and paying no mind to the tears that slid down my face, I carefully pulled myself up onto the ledge and stood up.

My breath shook as I looked down again. It was about a fifty foot drop and I had no idea whether I'd survive it or not.

I didn't have a chance to find out either.

I let one foot hover over, and I spread my fingers out at my sides, feeling the cold air run through them.

"Are you okay?"

My head snapped around to the left to see a young woman standing some feet away. I put my foot back down on the ledge and looked down, suddenly realizing what I was about to do.

"What's your name?" She asked, taking a step forward.

I looked at her as she stood under the street light. Blonde bangs peeked out from under a knitted beanie. A kind smile spread across her face, and I found myself wanting to get off the ledge.

"If I tell you mine," she said, taking another step closer, "will you tell me yours?"

I hesitated for a second before giving in.

"My name is Nancy," she said, smiling enough to show her almost perfect teeth. When I didn't respond, she smiled again and said, "Come on, I told you mine. A deal's a deal."

I watched her take a few more steps until she was in front of me.

"Harry," I said.

Nancy grinned.

She held one of her hands out for me to take and said, "It's nice to meet you, Harry. Will you please take my hand?"

This woman had gone into town to buy a couple of pies, unaware that she'd encounter me; a distraught man who was ready to end it all.