Chapter Eight - "There's Something About Mary"

Start from the beginning

“Yes, sorry. Where would I have seen her?”

“She supposedly attended that lecture in February,” I replied.

“No, she didn’t,” he said.

“How would you know? Don’t you have like a list you have to look at?” I asked, wondering just how – if he did have a list – he’d find it in all the junk.

Ollie Burrows snorted, “Apparently, people aren’t interested in the collaboration of biochemistry with quantum physics; they believe that it belies every firm theory that each field has assessed and created. There were only fourteen attendees at that lecture, none of which were women,” he finished, by pushing the picture back.

“Well, she could have been an assistant or something,” Jake said.

“Mr. Finchley, I have never seen that woman in this building. Trust me, I’d remember,” Ollie said, with a nod.

I looked over at Jake, who was frowning in concentration. “Mr. Burrows, can we see your video footage?” he asked. And, I groaned inwardly. In order to make it informal, we couldn’t make requests like that.

“Who did you say you people were again?” Ollie Burrows asked.

“Friends of Mary Santiago; the girl in the picture,” I replied quickly.

“Well, I’m sorry that you can’t find your friend, but she’s never stepped into this building. I’m sure of it,” he said standing up, and signifying that it was time for us to leave.

Jake heaved a sigh and stood up; I hadn’t even sat at all. It wouldn’t look good if I’d started to doze off, and that was exactly what would have happened.

“One more question, please,” Jake said pleadingly.

Ollie Burrows was already holding the door open, as he hesitated and said begrudgingly, “Fine.”

“Who has access to your brochures? Like, the really detailed ones?” Jake asked.

“Well, one only need make an application, stating their background, field of work, and their address,” he answered.

I smiled, as I realized what Jake was getting at, “So, basically anyone can make an application,” I stated.

“Well, not anyone. One would have to have an interest in the field of Biochemistry or quantum physics. These lectures are very expensive to carry out, so we try to ensure that they do indeed have matching educational backgrounds,” Ollie replied.

Jake and I looked at each other slowly.

“Don’t tell me,” Ollie began, “you’d like to see the application list,” he said with a bored look.

“Please?” Jake asked.

Ollie Burrows shook his head and said, “No, you can’t. But, I can check for you.” He trotted over to a series of cabinets, and pulled out a sheet of paper.

“Mary Santiago,” I said, before he could ask for the name.

His eyes scanned the sheets, and then he looked up at us with a nod, “Well, she did make an application, but I’m very sure she didn’t attend. Like I said, there were only fourteen attendees, all–”

“That’s all we need,” Jake said, standing up suddenly.

“Thanks, Mr. Burrows,” I said, following Jake out the door.

He was walking much faster than I could, and I could barely keep up in my laggardstate. The sun was peeking out from behind a cloud, but the sky was still a dull greyish-blue color. I stepped back out into the parking lot, which was slightly fuller than it had been a half hour ago. Jake was already flipping through a file in the passenger seat, as I caught up.